Opinion on McIntosh MC126-6

Q-Man

Don't mean to bore you, but I thought that I would tell you what I think of this amp.

I'm comparing it to my Yamaha RX-V3000 & an old Phase Linear power amp that's been driving my extra pair of rear speakers.

The Mac. is rated at 120 watts at 4 Ohms, 80 watts at 8 Ohms.

I set it up in mono, the Mac was driving one K-Horn & the Yamaha the other one.

First impression, the Mac side wasn't loud enought, I had to use the balance control to even them out.Before trying to concentrate on the sound quality I had to try some max. volume levels, since this was the first different thing that I noticed. I kept going back and forth with the balance control as I increased the volume. When I was reaching the levels where my kids ran out of the room the Mac's Power Guard circut kicked in and warned me that the amp was going into clipping.Nice touch, but the Yamaha seemed to keep going. I know, don't ask, I should have pulled out my sound level meter. I just said to myself, "this amp. won't do". I turned it down to more reasonable levels and began to really listen to what this amp sounds like, because even while searching for it's clipping point I couldn't help to notice it's cleaner sound.

It gets a big WOW!, for the quality of it's sound. It made a much bigger differance then all the speaker tweaking I've done. I won't try to go into detail, you heard it all before. It's like the old vail has been lifted again. Much cleaner and more detail from top to bottom.The insturments and voices all seem to stand out on their own. Not blended together as with the Yamaha & Phase Linear.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it, because of it's slight lacking of enought power for me. I may have to go with the more powerfull MAC206-6, 200 watts at 4 Ohms & 120 watts at 8 Ohms.

I did try the bridged setting and that may be a little too much power. I had to turn down the gain controls, because I was getting what I think was some AC line noise thru the tweeter. It was like an amplifer buzzing sound.

I do really like this improved sound. I have to wait for an answer from the guy that I bought it from. He is at the CES show and said that he will see about swapping it out for the MC206 when he gets back next week.

If I do change, anyone here can have it for what I payed for it, $2200.00 to include shipping. Before I send it back to him. Then if I can't work out a deal with him I may put it on ebay.

Sorry, but I don't understand how some of you can use those low powered tube amps.

The new falce corners are almost finished. Mike L., no thank's you. You keep saying that you want to come over and listen, but I havn't heard you offer to come over and help yet :-) .

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 01-12-2002 at 04:49 PM