do I need to turn the system off when not using it?

brycerocket

First off, let me say I'm completely thrilled with my iFi system. I own a RSX4/RW10D based home theater system and these speakers help bring that quality to me while I'm working. As a coder, it's been great for long listening periods.

My only question is I know the iFi can be put into some sort of sleep/off mode if you hold down the power button long enough, but is this necessary? Will it somehow decrease my iFi's life if I leave it on all the time? (I use them on a daily basis). Thanks!

You will save on the electric bill (a little). If you turn off the switch on the back of the sub you will save a little more. IMO, the electronics will last longer if they are turned off when they are not being used. In the case of the iFi, "Off" means the switch on the back. "Standby" only turns off the power amplifier.

• 3 weeks later...

That may have been true 50 years ago but modern electronics are not bothered by this.

After that it all comes back to the design... if the components won't take on-off-on-off cycles then they are not suited for the job and should be changed for better somponents.

The life (i.e. the failure rate) of electronic components follows a bathtub curve... there are a certain number of failures in the first few minutes or hours of operation. The number is highest right at the beginning, then quickly tails off to almost nothing, as every manufacturing process will have fallout.

All of the iFi amplifiers are "burned in" at the factory. This is a process whereby the amplifier is run under operating conditions (under load) to weed out components with infant mortaility (this is so that when the customer receives the unit, the first group of failures will not be experienced by the customer).

After a certain amount of time (based on how close to the edge you push the component) the components will begin to fail... if you you look at the curve it will look like a "bathtub" shape.

The longer the bottom of the bathtub curve, the longer the unit will last.

When you turn off the power you are making the curve longer.

• 1 month later...