How about a Klipsch high performance FM/AM/HD/i-pod table top stereo radio

I remember mentioning the idea of Klipsch headphones a couple/few years ago, and Michael mentioned he was going to look into that. Some of the silliness associated with "boom boom HT" and Wave commentary gave me an idea: I think a very high quality Klipsch table top radio would be something people might be interested in. Maybe one exists already? I know there is an i-pod speaker system (great!), but am not aware of whether it also has FM/AM and/or HD capability. I haven't really looked at it.

My wife and I purchased something like this for my wife's mother, who loved the sound of our Klipsch Heresies and Moth amp -- seriously, she really, really liked it, and loved to listen to classical music when she visited. We bought her a Tivoli table top stereo system -- not the radio -- but an all in one, very decent sounding system that she could both use with CDs and FM. We know what a difference good speakers can make in many systems, and I was just thinking after the discussion about the Wave, that something along the same line of thought might be very interesting from Klipsch. I would be interested myself!

I don't see myself doing the same thing soon, but I've talked with people at book stores, coffee places, school, and so forth, who decided they just couldn't deal with the constant urge to upgrade, analyze, or otherwise use music more as a test for the latest component change or modification instead of for the music, itself. So the big rig was sold for, like it or not, something along the lines of much smaller and i-pod based. Again, we aren't here to yank people through the mud about personal choices they make. Some of these people had very, very expensive systems, but would just get so wrapped in the...well... audiophilia, if you will, rather than music listening and enjoyment for that sake alone.

I think such a product could have potential, even if just as a very good FM/HD stereo component. Doubtless some will cringe, but I would remind that this entire hobby all began with those old wooden radios from the 1920s and 30s -- table tops and consoles, that people would gather around together to listen to music or hear the news from war fronts -- not to listen to soundstage width, for which I may invent a dedicated measuring device. "In doubt about whether that new component really expanded the width and depth of your soundstage? Throw all shadow of doubt out the window with our new SIC (stereo image caliper). $15,000 factory direct. Isn't your system worth it?

Erik