KG4's in home theater?? Where and with what?

mjwcpa

I've got a set of 20+ year old KG4's that are in great shape.

I'm wanting to establish a 3.1 or 5.1 home theater set up and just hate to retire the KG4's.

Any suggestions on how to implement and matched with what? Front? Rear? Or is it really just time to move on?

I don't mind tracking down older gear that will match up if needed. But if new is better I'll do that as well.

I just seem to have more attachment to the set than I realized. I did research on a replacement set for about a week and felt dirty from cheating on the old pair.

Thanks in advance.

KG2's work good ................ or, I just know others will tell you NO, but a pair of heresy's in front, put the KG4's in the rear channels. I ran one like that for a couple of years, before I went to KG2's to make a 2 way HT ............ worked for me !!!!!!! or, another pair of KG4's ...........

The KG2's in the front could be a good idea. 4's in the back. I saw a KG 2.5 on ebay that were described as a "center speaker". It actually was a solo speaker that had lost it's mate but had two 6.5 inch woofers and a horn tweeter.

If memory serves me correct I looked at the KG2's when I purchased the 4's so many years ago!!

You are attached to your KG4's for the same reason I am to mine, they are great! They are not too picky about what drives them, but a crappy amp will still sound like crap.

After two years with my KG4's here in Korea, I bought a pair of ChorusII's in '04 (after 8 years of searching) and temporarily retired my KG's because I was still "2-channel". Then, after a move in '05, I finally bought a 7.1 Yammie HT receiver. What to do, especially in my dinky apartment? Hook everything up, of course!

The ChorusII front channel and the KG4's in the rear works great! Above about -15db on the Yammie's dial, the combination literally shakes the floor. Five appearances by the Korean National Police so far. Even though they were never intended to work together on the same system, they really complement each other well in my room.

I stopped considering a subwoofer for this setup, one of my friends with 4 ForteII's tried and he lost bass! I've got plenty, just ask the cops! Might want a center channel someday, though. No rush.

For me, going HT has NOT been a reason to part with my KG's, they aren't going anywhere! In your situation, where I would place the KG's would depend on what other KLIPSCH speakers you plan to use with them. For instance, if you picked up a cheap pair of KG2's, try the smaller speakers in the rear. If you invested in some Fortes or Chorus, move the KG4's to the rear.

Thanks for the great feedback. I have renewed hope that this could be done and sound pretty good!

Consensus seems to be to use the KV series for center. I've looked on ebay and there regular sales of that series. Any input on KV1, 2 or 3 models? Any favorites or not so favorites?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.