Vista is getting worse

HarryO

Ok, Knock on wood it's running pretty good now.

After a major screw up on my part I had to replace the processor in my PC. I was cleaning out the sawdust in my PC and dropped the fan and processor (building Khorn tophats in the living room) resulting in a bunch of bent pins. The new Athlon 4800 seems to have made a difference. It's now reading the 4.34 gigs of ram instead of just reading 2.0 as before. It's much faster and stable so far. (bad processor maybe?)

While I was working on the PC I went ahead and ordered a new video card. I threw in the 3D 8600 gt 512mb card thursday and got rid of the crappy HP on board video.

It's running smooth as silk right now with no issues. After reading a few of your experience I figured I'd try something different.

Seeing how I'm not that bad on a PC I thought it could be the PC itself. Looks like my problems may have just been the store bought "minimal" components.

I HOPE!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's gonna keep working like this. This is the best this thing has ever run.

Thanks guys,

Harry

• 4 weeks later...

I switched to Vista64 this year and regular Vista for my HTPC and it's been great so far. I used to complain on the Nvidia problems until I sent my card back to the maker, got a replacement, and saw ALL video issues go away. I had the dreaded nvlm* stopped responding error that everyone attributes to drivers, which I also did, yet it turned out to be hardware. I have to say the HTPC setup was insanely painless and it was on pretty old hardware.

I do find the entire "Vista is confusing" argument funny. I struggle with a Mac every time I use one. I can't find anything and it's not clear how to find it. I have no clue where the stupid web browser is located. Where's my music stored? Where's my pictures? How do I make a shortcut? Then I realized it was just because I wasn't used to it. I'm sure I could figure it out given time. I'm not sure why people will stand for a learning curve with Apple but if it's Windows it's a pain.

I'm also not sure why patching is a bad thing. Even Firefox patches itself. We want patches don't we? The Vista patch system seems pretty stable and very simple too. Shrug.