Computer Memory Designations

I need to order more memory for a few computers and am not sure how the ratings work. If I have SDRAM DIMM at 533 mHz, will non SDMM work? Will faster speeds work? If I have PC2700, can I use PC3200 as an upgrade? DDR and DDR2? I'm hoping someone can explain how these numbers relate to each other and if they are backwards compatible. What is "Server Memory" and do I need it if the compuyter is being used as a server for a small network? Installing I can do, so long as I know what the heck I am ordering to begin with.

Thanks.

I can look at whatever I need to, but I need to know what I'm looking for! I have a program that gives me all the info about my puter, if someone ask a specific question I can likely find the answer fast enough.

One of the computers is a server, two are workstations, another is a stand alone.

Any more answers or questions you have I'll do all I can.

How long ago did you purchase your pc? What is the processor your
running? DDR2 memory is pretty much the stardard now adays and if you
purchased your pc within the last I'd say two years then thats probably
the type of ram you need. And yes you can use PC3200 to upgrade from PC2700.

• DDR266 = PC2100
  • DDR333 = PC2700
  • DDR400 = PC3200
  • DDR2-400 = PC2-3200
  • DDR2-533 = PC2-4200
  • DDR2-667 = PC2-5300
  • DDR2-800 = PC2-6400
  • DDR3-800 = PC3-6400
  • DDR3-1066 = PC3-8500
  • DDR3-1333 = PC3-10600
  • DDR3-1600 = PC3-12800

There are additional considerations. Some Memory have different voltage spec's as well as error correcting. The voltage spec's are show stoppers. The error correcting aspect usally means you can use error correcting in place of non error correcting, but not the reverse. The voltage issue could blow your mother board, so why risk it, get the correct memory spec from the manufacture, and go out and get that.

Thanks guys. I finally made time to investigate this a little, I found a memory store online that just goes in and verifies what memory yuou have in already and offers suggestions to upgrades. I verified that info with yours/ backchecked it against the SIW program info (A neat little program, I might add) and will be ordering once I check the computers at the shop on Monday.

Thanks again, looking forward to a little better operation in the near future.