Promedia 5.1 suddenly produces no sound...

PJMBigDog

My Promedia 5.1 speakers are pretty old (guessing about 6 years or so) and never had any problem other than the volume control knob being jumpy (numbers jumped around a lot when turning the knob), but this was an ongoing thing ever since initial purchase. The other day, I just got no sound at all. The control tower still turns on and adjusts but I get no sound. Verified with other speakers that sound card, computer setup, etc are all okay. How do I determine if my subwoofer board is fried or if this is a problem with the control tower unit (which is easily replaced for $33)?

My speakers did the same thing and we smelled something burning.My friend opened the sub box up and he found that the circut board had a bad resistor and there were burn marks on the bottom of the board.I would like to know where to get the board replaced and how much it will cost?

Most likely the amp....atleast that's what I have been seeing from threads going back to 2004. If you have the ultra's the headphone out will still work, and you can tell its the amp for sure. I guess you could open it up and look to see if you see any burnt out electronics as your first clue.

If Klipsch doesn't offer the service anymore, it definately past warranty, I have seen posts by an Elliot who does work to fix the weak/bad parts in the amp board. Try searching.

The more I read the board as of the past month I get an uneasy feeling. I've had my v2.-400's since they came out, and my Ultra 5.1's are on 24/7 for the past year'ish. Knock on wood for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Great, my Klipsch 5.1's just went out. Headphone jack on tower works, but now main speakers are dead. But, I have had them since they came out with no problems, so I guess I got a good run. Still pretty crappy though. Anyway, I did not get any smell or burnout that I can tell. I simply switched to headphones and then back to my main about a hour later, and nothing.