Kornwalls with Knight tube amps...

headliner

I am trying to build a system for the first time and I have the following components: One pair of Cornwalls(don't know the date but one of the numbers on each is an S.) Two 40 watt Knight integrated amps(tubes amps from the 50/60's). and a Dual turntable from 1969 with an Ortofron cartridge. All components are in good working order and cosmetic condition. Would the Knights be good with the Cornwalls or should I sell them and go SET?(I have been reading the forums and sounds like SET is the way to go.) Should I use both Knights or just one?I am new and appreciate your opinions.

Headliner---I think that rig will sound better than 90% of the hi-fis out there today at any price. Knight made some nice amps, one of the best hi-fi listening experiences I ever had was listening to a mono rig consisting of an Altec A7 driven by a Knight integrated, listening to "There was a Time" by James Brown, yeah.

While Knight amps are not the hallmark of the vintage group, Tom is right, you would still be able to find some great sound here. Which model Knight is it? I am assuming they are stereo, correct? I would try just one (obviously the better example of the two) and see how the Cornwalls sound. I have tried to monoblock EICO HF-81 (turning them into 28w monoblocks) and while it did bring more power, it was at the expense of grain and a loss of air. When you strap the two channels together on these vintage pieces, the results are not always better. Let us know what the model is and what tubes it is running.

You might find the Knight amp a wonderful combination and later, you can opt for trying other options.

I use my second EICO HF-81 strapped as a monoblock at 28w to power an old Crate SS guitar amp. I just bypassed the mediocre Crate amp section and run the 12" speaker with the little EICO. Man, does it SING! Very clean and rich sound with AMAZING distortion when you crank it up. Sounds like early WHO, KINKS, and Beatles! I love these vintage pieces!

kh

Thanks for all your help...looks like I have something here. The two Knights I have are 40 watt deluxe stereo amps. They are integrated amps Model 83 YX 774. The tubes are 2-7025, 2-12ax7, 2-6cm8, 4-6973, 1-gz34 rectifier. All of the tubes are Mullards. They both work fine and are very quiet...no hum or hiss. Any one have any idea what each is worth in case I decide to sell one? Also, can someone tell me what year the Cornwalls are. The letter in the serial number is an S. Thanks.