Promedia 5.1s, dead center, crackling left front issues.

hawk82

Hi all. I purchased a used Promedia 5.1 ULTRA set online about 9 months ago I think. I am the 2nd owner of the set. Not sure how old the set is, as the original owner didn't provide me those details. Up until about 3 months ago, the set has performed flawlessly. Recently, I developed a crackling sound issue in the left front speaker when playing music (of any type at any volume) or podcasts of just people talking. I swapped the speaker with one of the rears, and the issue is still there. The issue is also intermittent. Comes and goes. Doesn't seem to be a heat related issue, as sometimes the issue will pop up within a couple minutes of listening to music/having the system on.

In the past week, I just noticed my center channel is not working at all. No sound, other than a slight hum. I've checked my audio cables and also swapped my onboard souncard, sb audigy 1, with the onboard soundcard and the center still does not work.

I popped out the amp panel out of the sub, but couldn't see any visible issues. I didn't want to go too in depth into the circuit boards, like unscrewing the one on top, as I don't want to damage anything or make the problem worse. I do know how to use an iron, so if I could find some directions to what are common parts that go bad and need replacement, and a source for said replacement parts, I would feel confident I could do the job myself.

What are my options here, besides fixing it myself? I love the sound quality. It's great when it works properly. But I am pretty sure the set is out of warranty. I'd like to keep the repairs as cheap as possible, and also not be without speakers for a long time.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Not sure if I want to follow those directions. I'd like some pics if I would do this myself.

Also to update, the rear satellites are cutting in and out now. Just started a couple hours ago. D: