CD player for Heresy II

HII

In addition to a new tube amp I am also looking for a new CD player for around $ 500 - $ 700. I am considering the Cambridge audio D500 and something from Marantz. Has anyone had experience with the Cambridge unit? Any other suggestions? I have an opportunity to purchase a Rega Planet for $ 800 CDN. Is this a better choice? My speakers are Klipsch Heresy II's.

Thanks,

HII

The Heritage series tends to spotlight the harsh metalic sound of CDs. I found this is a result of the DAC that produces the analog conversion and good jitter reduction circuitry, in which case, the actual transport is of far less importance. My solution involved an excellent DAC - the Perpetual Tech P3A Dan Wright modified signature model that runs around $1000. and regular SONY changers with digital output. This produced the natural, clean, smooth highs I was after in my Khorns.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

rega98.jpg

I can emphatically say that the original Rega Planet is a GREAT match for vintage Klipsch. I have heard many players and it is one of my favorite by far as it really does deserve the praise it has received. It has a really BIG sound and is very full bodied and definitely the most analog sounding CDP up to $1000 I have heard, including the 24Bit machines. The original Rega actually used Rega modified Burr-Brown 18bit DACs. It impressed the chip maker so much, the team actually flew to Rega in Engand to study the implementation.

The Rega is literally built like a tank and couldnt be better to use! The top loading access and cover work like a charm with no moving parts per say...ie drawer sliding in and out. And using it is an ergonomic delight as it almost feels a bit like putting on a record but is about 12 times faster.

I have auditioned many other players and I still have not replaced this Rega. It is so smooth and rich sounding and very nearly the opposite of over detailed, harsh, piercing digital.

In a head to head comparison with a Tjoeb 99, I thought the Rega sounded more full bodied with more soul. But the Tjoeb is also a very good unit for the money. I liked both but actually felt the Rega to be more analog sounding than the Tjoeb. The Tjoeb is a very open sounding player, however.

As an aside, the Rega is one of the few players I would really feel comfortable about getting used. They can be had for less than $400 (or in that area) and hold their value amazingly well. They are also EXCELLENT as a transport.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-22-2002 at 09:05 AM

here is the linkis for the New Tube CD players:

$579 AH! NJOE TJOEB (pronounced "new tube") 4000 CD Player. In the equipment archives at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/, ex-Stereophile Dick Olsher says:

"All considered, the Njoe Tjoeb represents a fantastic bargain - a clear 100 on our value for the money scale. Outfitted with the Amperex Bugle Boys , the Njoe Tjoeb remains my reference in the under $1,500 price category. If you're a music lover on a budget, look no further, and treat yourself to this Dutch Bonbon. The old Tjoeb is dead. Long live the Njoe Tjoeb!"

He has since reviewed other, tube modified CD players. See the Heart CD 6000, also a Marantz modified player, at: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/heartcd6000.htm.

"Resolution of low-level detail also competitive with any player I've heard to date priced under $3,000. The sound was integrated from top to bottom; no one octave vied for my attention. The grain and grit I have come to expect from inexpensive players were completely absent."

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!