XF-48 hookup, confused??

I thought I was all set on what speakers I was going to go buy in the next few days and then I got to thinking and researching and am now confused. If I buy the Klipsch Icon xf-48's for front left and right duties how do I go about hooking up to my Onkyo 805 receiver? I have never had a self-powered speaker before and I noticed they have actual A/C plugs as well. If I just run speaker wire from my receiver to these speakers with that be good to go and I won't need to plug in the powercords? Reason I ask is I don't have the plug ins in the front of the room for the powercords and I want to run the speaker through the receiver. Thanks.

Thanks for considering the Icon XF48. As an integral biamp/speaker lifestyle product, it does require A/C power. Although it has both RCA and speaker inputs, the high level speaker inputs work like in a subwoofer by using any speaker level signal to drive the internal amps. It cannot be used as a passive box speaker.

You might try the XF23's as LCR's for your room if you like the Icon styling.

ok, but how do these speakers work having speaker wire going from them to receiver? I want to use the THX Ultra 2 mode on my 805 to matrix 5.1 mixes to 7.1, how would the way these speakers are hooked up affect that if at all? I guess I'm mainly just confused on if the receiver can detect the speakers and all that since they are self powered? I have really like the xf-48's as I auditioned them multiple times so far, I was gonna use a xf-23 for the center, how are those for L/C/R duties? Much of a downgrade from xf-48's???

If you are talking about the RCA outputs from your receiver, then the sound is always being sent to them. So whenever you hook up something to the RCA output, the sound is already there - so no special configuration necessary. Your system should actually sound better if you use the RCA outputs too.

Guest BobG

Hook up the XF-48 just like any other speaker, but then also plug them into AC power to run their internal amps. There is NO way to bypass their internal amps. They will NOT use any power from your Onkyo receiver so the normal power draw of front speakers will be eliminated and the Onkyo will have better reserves to run the center and rears. Sound will improve. This will all work fine with the THX settings on your Onkyo. Remember, the XF-48's don't have subs built in. If you choose to use a subwoofer, you'll use the crossover in the Onkyo to determine the subwoofer crossover frequency.

Hope this helps.