ICON XF-48 vs. RVX-54, XF-48 amp question

Do the xf-48's blow the rvx-54's away? Looking to buy asap but nobody has the RVX line to demo. Store I went to today said the RVX's weren't that great. I do love the xf-48's so far. What seems wierd though is the amp in icon's can go to 110w, my reciever can do 130w per channel, wouldn't that be better??

Guest BobG

The XF-48 definitely blow away the RVX-54.

When challenged to make a full-range speaker in very little cabinet volume the results are usually not impressive; like the RVX-54 and many other speakers of similar size and shape. There just isn't enough cabinet volume to do the job in a conventional manner. That is why the XF-48 is internally amplified.

Using amplifiers that are uniquely designed to run ONLY those drivers they will operate allows us to get much better performance. The amplifiers have equlaization and limiting in order to squeeze full performance from the drivers. The electronic crossover network is much more efficient than the normal passive crossover network and the drivers are specially designed and very costly. The result is a speaker that sounds like a full-size floorstander yet is no larger than an RVX-54. By our own tests, you could use more than 300 watts in an external amp and still not equal the performance of the internal biamp package running the XF-48.

Couple questions, do you know roughly how much longer the RVX 54's are going to be sold? I ask because in about 9 months to a year I am moving to a loft style condo. This is important because it will be very difficult to have wall mounted surrounds due to the large open area and I was thinking about buying the 54's as side surrounds. If the 54's are not available at that time could the XF-48's being used as side surrounds blend ok with the RF-83's? Just trying to think ahead. Thanks

Guest BobG

RVX-54s will be replaced by the Icon XF-48. They will not likely be available 9-12 months from now. You might consider Icon XL-23's on their dedicated stands which will look very clean in a big, open area. See picture with XL-12 and XL-23.on stands. The cover plates on the back of the stands cover all wire and make a very clean look, even out in the middle of a room.

post-2141-1381937439405_thumb.gif

Thanks for the response Bob, the only concern I have about the stands is that they don't seem tall enough. Is there any other Klipsch stands that are taller? Reason that I liked the 54's so much is that they stand almost 50" tall. I'll just wait and see what my setup looks like and decide on some surrounds at that time.

The XL FS put the tweeters where they're supposed to be for seated listening and viewing. They have very heavy base, adjustable rubber-tipped foot pegs, heavy anodized upright, and great hardware. The wires are completely hidden.

These aren't your Dad's speaker stands.