dedicated line.....duh!!!!!!!

InVeNtOr

One other thing you might want to wire in...

If you are are putting in a wired network in the house...definitely run a network connection to the HT gear location. Even better...run it in conduit back to the network center so that if things like in home fiber become a reality in the future, you can re-pull. More and more gear is going to use network access. If you are doing a multi-room audio sytem (at the minimum, prewire for it), make sure you run source lines to the equipment location...again, conduit is even better.

Roger makes some interesting points and seems to have thought a whole bunch about this, however he is most certainly going way above and beyond what is needed for this equipment. His formula for ohms law is correct, but his application of it and installation is WAY overkill.

His sub may be able to put out 3000 watts in SHORT bursts which any 14 gauge wire would be able to withsand, if this were CONTINUOUS then you would need to upsize the conductor accordingly.

If you think of it as an electric motor there is a sudden, short amperage draw upon start-up and then the motor settles in and runs at its rated amperage. You therefore have to use a larger circuit breaker to allow for this without having nusiance tripping of the breaker, (there are calculations for this in the NEC) but you would size the wire for the amperage rating of the motor. I have installed #12 THHN wire on 60 amp breakers because of this. If you had to size the wire in this application to the 60 amp breaker, you would significantly increase the cost of the job needlessly. Wire, probably conduit to accomodate the larger conductors and so on would price you out of a job. Plus, fitting #6 wire into the box on the motor would be impossible.

Not to mention his 30 amp breaker and #10 wire would have to be terminated at a 15 or 20 amp receptacle to allow the sub to be plugged in (unless it does have a 30 amp cord end on it?) which just doesn't make sense.

My point is most peoples home A/V equipment can be plugged into any standard receptacle/circuit and work perfectly. Do I have a seperate 20 amp circuit for my equipment? Yes. Did it NEED it? Probably not.

But then again, it's debates/discussions like this that make this hobby what it is.

bhenry,

I did not use regular house recepticles, although 25 amp recepticles most certainly do exist. I did not want the wife or anyone else for that matter to be able to plug into my dedicated circuits. At 1,250 watts RMS a 15 amp braker with #14 gauge wire would be marginal at best. Cost of #6 wire cost prohibitive??? For yo-yos who would spend $1,000 or more on a line conditioner, speaker wire or high priced inter connects, good feed is a much better investment. Why would someone buy great speakers and a high end amp plus all the other stuff and sink $20,000 plus and not build a dedicated listening room when next to speakers, accoustics have the biggest effect?? This relates to power supply as well!!! Why put all the money$$$ into connects etc., and a line conditioner and not pay for a second line transformer and or only be marginal on feed. Very backwards perspective in lack of thought process from my viewpoint!!!

Roger