Connecting "Cinema 6" Home Theatre to an HTPC without a receiver

Barney

I am looking at buying this set of speakers, and I have built a Home Theatre PC (HTPC) with an Asus P5E-VM motherboard. This has 6 onboard 3.5mm jacks for connecting up a surround sound system and I would like to connect this speaker set without having to introduce a receiver into the equation - the HTPC is designed to be the one stop shop.

Can you tell me whether I can cable these up even and whether the powering would be sufficient on the speakers? I would rather get this good set of speakers than a set of computer ones.

Many thanks in advance,

Barney

Motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1912&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

Guest BobG

The Cinema Six package has power only for the subwoofer. The other five speakers require power from some sort of amplifier. Your motherboard does not have amplification as far as I can tell. Thus, you need at minimum some sort of amp. Then, what component performs the various Dolby or DTS processing? Is your MCPC capable of performing those operations? If not, you again require an outboard component. The simplest way is with a standard 5.1 channel home theater receiver.