Buzzing woofers?

kenratboy

I just received my new JBL 4648A-8 (professional, dual-15" woofers) and when I hooked it up, both woofers played fine, but one of them "buzzes", it a wire touching the top cone, or is it somthing else? Any help is much appreciated.

TBrennan, your the only other person I know that has this sub, what can I expect if I pull one of the woofers? Is it a strait job, or have they used putty around the basket or somthing that would make the job more difficult? Any comment on the above question?

Thanks for the help!

Ken---That's too bad, a piece of bad luck. You got a 5 year warranty, I'd talk to JBL before I went inside the speaker, they may want to simply send you a new 4648 or they might replace the driver. IME JBL drivers are fit very tightly and must be removed with some care, you can get them out but be careful, the drivers are very heavy. Get ahold of JBL and see what they want to do.

OH MY GOD! Those are the hardest screws I have EVER tried to remove, it will be a one-way trip if I can get them out. Couldnt they have used Torx or hex bolts, I will replace them with Torx if they send me a new woofer. It is not the tinsel lead from the basket to the voice coil, something in the middle of the voice coil is vibrating, so it will have to go back to JBL no matter what, what a pain, I am going to try the You sold me a lemon approach and see if they will pick up shipping both ways, that seems fair to me, I havent even had a chance to break it, if you know what I mean, and shipping for the woofer itself will be about $30, hey, just like a deductible! Oh well, my eyes just about popped out of my head when I actually saw the unit, that thing could give a little kid nightmares, I know I will have a lot of fun with it, so hopefully a new woofer by the end of the week and then I can enjoy it.