subwoofer rumbling

dzt5002

Recently, my friend and I decided to upgrade my 5-year-old promedia 4.1 system. Mind you that when I bought this system, I bought it refurbished.

I bought 16 gauge speaker wire to replace the 18?20? guage speaker wire on the orginal system. I cut approximately 4 inches below each speaker wire's jack. I then stripped the wires (new and old) and soddered them together. I taped each wire individually with electrical tape then taped them together. After finishing the project, the speakers worked very well.

Fastforward one day later... The subwoofer is grumbling like a distant thunderstorm. In other words, the subwoofer is firing sporadically with and w/o the music playing. The satelite speakers are not experiencing any problems. I thought it might be an a/c current issue (I live in an old house). However, I plugged the speakers into a part of the house that is not experiencing any problems and still received feedback from the sub.

Is there a resistor blown on the amp? Is the system not able to handle 16 gauge wire?

Thanks for the help!