RF3 vs RF5. The difference between the tweeters...

Mike Ockhertz

I'm in the market for some new front speakers to replace my ksf 8.5's. I'm looking at either the RF-3's or the RF-5's. Right now, my budget won't allow me to get the RF-7s. My main concern is home theater, not music, so I'm not really considering the older, "better" Klipsch offerings at this time, and I dont think my Denon receiver would do them justice anyway. Anyway, back to the point of this post, The only differences I've found between the RF-3 and the RF-5 is the size of the Tractrix horn (6" vs 8") and the tweeter model; K-105-K 1" for the RF-3 vs K-119-KB 1" for the RF-5. The only other difference is the high frequency cross over: 1975Kz for the RF-3 vs 2500Hz for the RF-5. The midrange drivers are identical, both in model and dimension. Both units are made of medium density fiberboard(with the RF-5 having a wood veneer finish, as opposed to the vinyl veneer finish of the RF-3) So I guess my question is, does the difference in the tweeter really justify a virtual doubling in price? Has anyone had a chance to actually demo both models back to back? Thoughts?

PS, Since I already have the RC-3 center, I thought that the RF-3 would be slightly better matched than the RF-5.

This message has been edited by Mike Ockhertz on 01-22-2002 at 05:48 PM

RF5's have a smoother more dynamic sound. The better tweeter increses detail in the high end, and the finish looks nice. The are laid back compaired to the RF3's, but not by much. The size is bigger, and the bass extends deeper. The mids are very high quality. (As with the rest of the sound)

The RF3's have a smaller tweeter, (the driver is the same size) and not as detailed. It does however do more work then that in the RF5. The mids are more foward, and the sound is a little more agressive when used with the SAME amp (reciever) I tested with. The bass is not as deep, but almost the same as the RF5 because of useing the same woofers.

You allready have the RC3, but the RF5 would still work. In audio, one of the best things you can do is spend lots of money on your speakers, because the more you spend the more you get. (with the real stuff only!!)

If you could afford it I'd get the RF5, because the music sounds better. The RF3 is also a great speaker.

I do not think the diffrence in price is fair. $1100 CDN more for RF5's then RF3's??????

There was another post about this a while back. Do a search if you would like more information.

Hope it helps,

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch