KSW-10 humming

dpocs

My subwoofer (KSW-10) with the quintet system likes to turn itself on to a dull humm in the middle of the night.?!?!? WHY?!?!?

I't started after it kind of popped and hummed while listening to Car Talk one Saturday morning. After turning it off and back on, it seems to still work fine. Have done the testing with DVD tests, and it works. Sent it to the shop for repair, and they found nothing wrong. What's going on?!?!

it's connected with the single LFE cord.

(i'm not too technically inclined)

My guess is that you have a ground loop in the system which generates the buzz you hear and that the buzz is great enough in level to trigger the 'auto on' function of the subwoofer. Try moving the rear panel switch to 'off' when not in use rather than 'auto'. Then it will not turn on.

Next thing is to find and eliminate the source of the buzz. This is usually from having TV cable connected to any component that is connected to your system; (there is a fix) or it can be from using some components that have 3 prong AC adaptors (actually better but can cause ground loops).

Can you offer any further info on the buzz?

I have had the same issue with my KSW200. Seems like it doesn't like certain wall plugs. Horrendous humming. Intolerable. The best solution was - I kid you not - first I tried a 3 prong to 2 adapter. Plugged this into the cheapest long (like 12 or 15 footer) extension cord on the market....think $1.99 rings a bell, then plugged it into different outlets until it went away. It did. No issue as long as it's in that receptacle. Nothing else worked. Tried the heavy duty 3 prong extension cord. Nope. back to el cheapo.

------------------

Ed