NEED HELP Solving HT Setup Issue (KSP-S6/Onkyo 604)

Anti-thesis

I ran into a bit of a problem shortly after hanging/hooking up my KSP-S6 rears to go with the KLF-20's and C-7 I already had. I'm using an Onkyo 604 receiver to drive the system and a PS3 for the dvd player.

The problem occured while I was watching a concert dvd with the volume up on multichannel. I can't remember what surround sound listening mode I was using (i.e. Neo:6, PLIIx, Studio Mix, All channel, etc.,) but I tried several, all of which caused the same issue. After about 10 minutes, with the volume up, there was a loud pop and then the receiver shut off. At first I thought maybe I had it up to loud (75 on 100 pt scale) and the receiver's safety feature kicked in. However, even after turning the volume all the way down the same thing happened (loud pop then shuts off). I checked the +/- hookups to make sure I didnt have the wires crossed. I didnt. The only fix I found was to unhook the back right rear at the receiver, while leaving leaving the back left hooked up. The vice versa of this did not solve the issue.

I should also mention that even when both were playing, the sound coming out of either speaker was not that loud.

I would replace the cables but I'd have to redrill and fish them through the wall AGAIN and run them back through attic. Cables from the same spool (bluejeanscables) work fine so I doubt that is the problem.

Has anyone had a similar issue or know of a possible solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It'll be a process of elimination. Try switching the right and left rear and see if it is still the same one causing the issue. If so then I'd say you either have an issue with one of your cables or an issue with the specific channel in the receiver. Then I'd try to use another wire. For testing purposes just run it across the floor to the speaker. Also check to make sure there are no stray wires on either end of the wire touching the other connection. After eliminating speakers and wire then the problem must be in the receiver. Good luck hope it's not that serious.

Rick