KLF20's & sub x-over for HT and music?

GaryA

I have KLF20 mains and KLFC7 center. I see many receivers with adjustable x-over settings from 40-120htz or more. Most are in the 80-100htz for the lowest x-over. I really want to make use of the klf's potetial down low in the freq range. I have an SVS 20-39CS+ and Samson S1000 on order. My question is, do I need to x-over at 40-60htz or will a receiver crossing over at 80htz sound fine? Does anyone prefer playing their Klipsh speaks down low vs letting the sub do it for HT and music? I haven't bought my upgraded recvr yet and most don't have adjustable xover below 80htz for receivers in the 750-1200$ range. I will spend up to 1500-1800$ if need be to get what I want. Am I making too much of this issue? I know many say on this forum and others that letting the SVS sub do the work below 80htz sounds better than the Klipsch/other speaks do down low. Thanks for your input.

Boa, the 4802 Denon is high on the list of possibles w/adjust x-over of 40,60,80,100&120htz to choose from. I'm also contemplating the Pioneer VSX37 w/x-overs of 80,100,and maybe 120htz selections for sub. It is going for 800-1000$ w/7ch capability and only 5 channel power. The new VSX47 has 7 channel power and crosses over down to 50htz. It's about 1800-2000$ right now. I still need input on if Klipsch towers KLF or RF7 sound good letting the sub worh belw 80htz or better if the klipsch doit down to say 40,50 or60htz. Thanks, Gary

gary, ideally u want an adjustable cross DOWN from 80hz

like the 4802. it's both a high pass & low pass cross.

that is it will start cutting the sub where u set it on

up. and it will cut speakers set small at that same freq point on down. another option is run the big speaks on large full range, smaller speaks on small, & set the cross at 60 or 40hz.

just gives you much more flexibility there.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

gary, just to note, crossovers are not a brickwall. they cut db from the signal at a gradual rate of freq.

the crossover slope determines the rate & is fixed (non adjustable) on the 4802 & most subs. when u have big front woofs, u can get more impact as well as a good blend w/ the sub if you can do a lower crossover point.

i have mine at 50hz, & my 30s & sub blend real well with BOTH contributing to more impact in the 2nd octave (40-80hz).

------------------

My Home Systems Page