My KP setup with pics

whamo

1000 watts into those subs is more than plenty and clipping at that level would probably damage the speakers.

Doc, I don't know if he's using any other aux out of his DJ mixer as much as just Y'ing the outputs to both sub and main amps. Sounds like a reasonable setup to me, but I'd use those subs with a lower crossover. At 400 they probably sound pretty sqwonky.

I'm not physically y'ing out the outputs. The XTI has an XLR connector outputs which then goes to the XLS. But i guess it'd be considered y'ing out. It's a real joy trying to get all of this into a Chevy S10 too. I wanted to get a trailer to haul it all in this year but the wife needed a new car. Mark

• 2 months later...

I didn't have a camera, but I took some Klipsch KP speakers out for a spin for Halloween. I like to take out different setups all the time, and the challenge this gig was to put as monster of system as possible in one full size pickup-truck load.[au]

The kids had rented out a small basketball court/auditorium from a local church. You know- the 1960's type of big multipurpose room with way high ceilings and a nice traditional stage? I was just going to be the PA guy, a 20-year old kid was going to do the DJ spinning. [H]

I started with one KP362 dual 18" subwoofer, knowing that it had plenty of low end for today's modern musics. That speaker, laid on it's back in the truck, takes exactly half the width of 4' bed. Next to it I put my 16 space/mixer case which houses a Mackie 1604VLZ (standard rock and roll board), compressor for vocals/speaker, a Crown PS400 (which is my standard all-round amp). To this I added my Crown K2 for the sub and a Rane AC23 crossover to use with the sub also.

For mains I usually take either a pair or quad of KI362's (to be exchanged for KP362's sometime soon), but for this gig I wanted to try something different. I had the space and wanted more low end kick, so I opted for a pair of KP301's that I'd never used live. These are basically a ported Chorus speaker, but a little shorter and stouter. They are also somewhat similar to pro Cornwall, the CP-1, but narrower and deeper. These I ran full range, with the KP362 sub kicking in (literally) until about 120 Hz. [:o]

For lighting I assembled two each par38 and par42 cans that I'd recently refurbished, on an aluminum square tube. Trey was over the other day and helped me fashion a connector between the square tube and my Ultimate stands. These were controlled by a 4 light chase controller, gelled with bright deep colors, and placed on one side of the stage. [<:o)]

Last summer I'd purchased a pair of Martin CX-4 color changer/gobo lights and recently got the MC Showtime controller for them. Total price about $650. Although not motorized, the controller flips various gobos and vivid color filters in place in rhythm to the music or manually and the light is very sharp. I also put another par38 for general lighting and a Moonflower effect on this 4-pack light bar and attached it to a stand on the stage near my location so I could trigger the controller. With the lights wrapped in old blankies in the back of the truck (with the requisite 2x4 wedged into place to prevent speaker slidage), cables and CX-4's in the cab with me, it was a jam packed production in One Truckload! [:D]

Add one F-100 smoke generator and it was one heck of a show. Smoke is necessary for the beams of light to have much of an effect and I pumped a ton of smoke that night. I set the single sub up back to back with my roadie case at dance floor level, and to quarter-load the sub, I set it up with one side next to the stage riser (so it's pointed sideways along the base of the stage). It thumped pretty good being run from the biamp controller and the entire output of the K2 amp. The PS200 was putting out about 100-200 watts into the KP301's which seemed to mate up pretty well. The 301's are nominal 8 ohms but dip to 3.7 at 140 hz so it was good match. I only lit the clip lights once, when the kids kept shouting for LOUDER, LOUDER. [8o|] Well I gave them louder alright! LOL. The DJ kid complained to me a couple of times but I showed him real good. Told him there was plenty of power but if he kept cranking it at his board that I was going to shut it all down. He'd be pumping so much voltage to me at times that although my input pads were all the way down, the Mackie board was clipping at the inputs! IDIOT! [:@] Me and Rob are going to have a long talk if we ever work together again. And I'll use my compressor on his inputs just to make sure. Don't want to destroy any of the Klipsch collection for some volunteer gig you know!

Got to unload Sunday am- ugh. The not-fun part of the job. [:S]

ok, ok maybe I'll set it all up in the driveway and snap a few pix for you guys....

Colter out.

Cardinal Fang- The Rack!

Note the patented Colter 'YellBack' mic[8o|]

Top to Bottom, this week's rack includes:

iPod so I can override the friggin Rap music every so often

Mackie 1604 VLZ board

Shure SM58 yellback mic on short 6' cord.

Furman power conditioner/rack lights

Quadraverb processor for vocal delay (not used at this gig)

DBX 166XL dual gate/compressor/limiter- used in insert jack of speaker's mic and yellback mic (shoulda used it on the DJ input)

DOD dual 15 band eq (to be replaced by DBX 2215 double rack space eq)

Crown K2 amp bridged mono to KP682 sub

Rane AC23 used with mono output from Mackie for Sub crossover (mains left full range stereo on this night)

Crown PS200- standard 'everyday' amp that is always in this rack

Roadie Drawer with duct tape, pens, extra 1/4 and XLR cables, CD's, flashlight, drum key, spare SM58, iPod case, etc.

post-10755-13819426070764_thumb.jpg