Hookup RP-5's to Denon3802

DenonKlipscher

DK the resident expert for RP hookup is boa12.I'm sure you'll hear from him soon.:^)

Although I don't have RP speakers,I do have Klipsch KSP300 powered towers.I would recommend,assuming hookup options are like my speakers,to run speakers full range via speaker wire(replace gold jumpers with speaker wire)and sub cables from receiver sub out to left or right RP LFE in,right(or left) RP LFE out to left RP LFE in.Set receiver bass management to 'LFE Only'and front speakers 'Large'.You can get some decent Acoustic Research sub cables at a good price at www.accessories4less.com .

With careful,and not overpowing,adjustment of the low end the RP's will sound great for HT.

Good luck!

Keith

expert huh? more like anal info provider. Biggrin.gif keith, is right on w/ hook-up.

though for settings I just went w/ setting fronts:small. makes no real big dif though, as it just sends the low bass thru the sub preout/LFE IN connection instead of the speaker level connection w/ the high & low posts wired together (which you always want to do so you don't lose anything between 80-90hz).

in theory, this should lessen the current load on your denon and more use the rp sub amps. but if you have capable receiver &/or power amps, the audible dif should be nothing as w/ the large setting you're also using the rp amps w/ the speaker connection.

on other hand, using fronts:large you avoid any conflicts/degradation with the denon's dsp high pass filter (80hz) and the 90hz crossover on the rp.

so, use keith's settings 1st then try the other dif settings w/ all dif material (5.1 channel vs 2 channel). if you don't hear a dif or you're not as anal as me, stick w/ keith's way. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-26-2002 at 04:24 PM

Ok, so i need two sub cables for the hook up for the LFE's. One from the denon to the right speaker, and one for the right speaker to the left speaker, correct?

Now the question is what the hell is the line in and out on the back of these speakers for and the dial for the line in(out) that says line level. On replacing the plate jumper with speaker wire, should i buy even more wire and double run speaker wire to my denon, using monster 14 guage xp and moster bannana plugs? I appreciate your help thanx alot!!!

dk, yea just run one from the sub out to lfe in & one from the lfe out of that rp to the lfe in of the other rp.

forget the line ins, outs & controls. they're for full nonfiltered output like from the front or stereo preouts, which you're not using.

that wire in place of the gold straps is a minor tweak.

u can just make 4 short strands (like a few inches each) of speaker cable & use those instead. but no real biggy if any dif in sound there.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

dk, i had to put both my rp & the receiver sub output on flat or 0db to keep them in balance w/ the other speakers.

a lot of depends there though the biggest 2 being your room characteristics & bass tastes. best thing is to get one of those radio shack meters for around $40 to balance the output levels for all the channels & speakers. probably best to start w/ the rp control at flat then adjust sub output from the denon. & probably ok to let the subs go 5db over the others especially if u like da bass.

without a meter, just have to experiment & do what sounds best to your ears. even w/ a meter some personalization of the sub levels may be needed.

------------------

My Home Systems Page