IR Relay...

jimmerz

Another Home theater question from the nooby.

My wiring will all be in the wall. I would like to set up an IR Repeater so I can completely hide my components. The sales rep wanted to sell me one for $310 and I felt I could definitely get one cheaper on line.

1. I am not even sure how exactly to hook it up

2. I would like to get a much cheaper one than $310.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, jim

Hi, Jim: Welcome to the forum. I went through the same dilemma you are going through with my home theater, but about four years ago. Since then I have been running things from an IR system made by Niles, but not without its problems. There are now quite a few different IR repeater system manufacturers out there. However, I have decided that the way to go now is with RF instead of IR. Radio Frequencies go through walls and you no longer need to worry about aiming your remote control any where. I just installed an RF system made by Univeral Remote Controls, Inc. (URC) that receives my remote's RF signals and then converts them back into IR signals and then sends the commands to up to 6 different components (more can be added for a price) via wires attached to IR emitters that are glued to the front IR sensor of each device. In addition to the hard-wired IR emitters, the entire front face of the RF reciever is a gigantic IR emitter that will floor the IR signal to any device inthe room within eyesight of it. There are many different brands of RF systems. Long-time Klipsch member IndyKlispchFan and others here have used RF systems for years and love them. Some have said they'll never go back to just IR and most of the RF systems are fairly affordable. Try doing some research on sites such as Remote Central. You'll need a remote that will broadcast RF in addition to IR. I think you might find the concept interesting. Some RF repeaters can be had on-line from about $150 to $250.

If you are dead-set on going with an IR system only, one of the oldest, cheapest, simple and reliable systems out there is a Powermid system. It looks like two little black pyramids. Try searching for it under $100 new at stores or web-based retailers or used on places like Craig's List and Ebay. They're out there. Best of luck! -Glenn

Powermid: New for $54.99 at SmartHome.* * I have no affilliation with SmartHome or its products.

The primative, yet reliable Powermids...very basic and simple but the cheapest way to go IR that I know of. I still prefer an RF system.

post-10177-13819400253028_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819410402894_thumb.jpg