Yamaha 3800, Denon 3808, or Pioneer LX70

Alan.Wilson

Hi all,

I'm a bit new at this so please be gentle, I have just recently picked up some Klipsch synergy quintet sl speakers with the 10" sub and S1 surrounds for the 7.1.

I am in a tail spin when it comes to matching an AVR, I've scanned the forums and think it comes down to the three listed above, lots of good info points to the Denon then I hear that the Yamaha is warmer than previous versions and OK with klipsch.

I have a pioneer plasma and an old pioneer vsx4800 AVR which even though 15 years old is a heap better than a kenwood 6.1 I picked up 2 years ago and as such I am a bit partial to the pioneer.

As cost is an issue I need to look at these models as they become superceded (think thats how its spelled). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Al

Alan,

Welcome to the Form.........................

Your Yamaha 4800 should work just fine. If later you feel the need to upgrade I'd first upgrade to a Larger Reference Series Speaker, or some of the new ICON series speakers klipsch just announced.

Good Luck with what ever you do..............and remember , Trust your Ears and Budget as to your future purchases.................

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-34-home-theater.aspx

Al,

I am not familiar with the Yamaha or the Pioneer but I can tell you that I have the Denon and I love it. I bought a Denon amp with my first set of Klipsch and I haven't looked back! The 3808 is a dream. One feature that I didn't know much about was the Audessey set-up. As I have learned more about it I like it. I have a very strange shaped listening room(s) and very hard materials. The Audessey room tuning did wonders by correcting the sound stage. While this setup isn't for everyone (it is electronics messing with the "pure" signal) it is certainly an easy way to get a really nice soundstage without alot of work or money.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Appreciate the reply, I like the things I hear about the Denon as they are all positive the only problem

I face is that here in Australia they sell for a $1000 more than the Yamaha so i might have to extend myself to get

to get the quality. Or I guess look at the prices in another 6-12 months.

I have an unusual shaped room with a raked ceiling so the Audessey set-up if effective could be worth the purchase price

alone.

Cheers

Alan

Here is the bottom line. You do NOT need an expensive receiver with your current setup. If I were you, I would go out, do some research, and find the cheapest receiver you can find that will satisify your needs. I think with your setup, one of the new Onkyo's would do well. They are cheap, handle all new audio codecs, and will be more than you need.

If you want to spend a bunch of money on a receiver, WAIT! About 6 months from now, you are going to want to upgrade your speakers - trust me. This is addictive and will take over your life! The bottom line is the most important part of your setup is the speakers - it's way more important to have good speakers than good electronics. I think there are plenty of budget receivers that will work just fine for you. Just go out there, look at what's availible and come back to us with a receiver around or under 500 bucks. My advice.

Real good of you guys to offer some great advice, and to even consider jumping on a plane now

that is above and beyond.

Yeah the price of equipment over here is really amazing, its stunning to see the prices

on the US internet sites, the speakers I have just picked up sell for $3000 retail here, thankfully I

didn't have to pay that much as I bought them new from an online auction site. to go the reference model

would cost a mint.

Unfortunately cost is an issue at the moment, I thought for a while I might just see

how the old Pioneer goes thought it was 5.1 (don't understand difference between that and Pro Logic?)

but I would love 7.1, might have to look at the Onkyo as well as the Denon 2308 and 2808.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan