is there a difference? they are only BITS..right?

BenG

I am very close in completing my 2 channel system(as you can see in my signature)

The Heresy's will be in sometime in mid-Febuary(i hope)

My MA M33 DAC/Pre will be in next week. I will place an order for the Monarchy Audio DIP next week as well.

Now, In my eyes, not my ears (since I have not heard this combination) my weakest link should be the Onkyo DV-S535 DVD player.

My question is, If I am utilizing the DVD player as a transport would there be a noticable sonic difference if it was a CD player?

cwm36.gif

------------------

Monarchy Audio SM-70

Onkyo DV-S535

Monarchy Audio Model 33

KLIPSCH HERESY II (soon)

AudioQuest Slate/Diamondback

This message has been edited by BenG on 01-28-2002 at 06:25 AM

My opinion is that yes they are only bits. A bit is a bit. However there is a considerable difference in the transformation of those bits into an audio (analog) signal. It is in this area that good and bad sounds result.

There are many people who have experience in comparing the various DACs, CD players etc. Perhaps they can offer advice on this matter. I have an old CD player and a new DVD player and cannot really hear much difference between them. Both are capable of resolving the difference between good and bad CDs (CDs are not all produced with equal or good quality!).

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Yup - difference should be negligible - go ahead and use your DVD as a transport.

One thing (few will agree with me on this). Choose a good optical cable/coax cable for your connection. My experience is that they seriously reduce Jitter issues.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

This is one of those issues where you're going to get two very, very polarized opinions.

Either the transport will not make any difference, or it will make an VERY big difference. There does not seem to be any middle ground.

For just about the last word in a dedicated transport with a jillion reasons why it sounds better than some other generic transport, check out http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/verdi.htm keeping in mind that this is a $9,000 TRANSPORT to which they want you to hook an Elgar and a Purcell (format converter and D/A converter) for a total of about $30K.

I suggest you work with a dealer. Get used to the sound of your system with the DV-S535 used as a transport. Then, when you're fully accustomed to the system and its sound, borrow a high end transport for the weekend, and a digital cable the dealer recommends. If you don't hear any difference, well, that's pretty much that. If you hear ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL, however, you are now in deep doodoo, because you will forever be tweaking and swapping things around, wondering if the system wouldn't sound just a little bit better if you switched X for Y... Smile.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

it will be sometime before im listening to my system.

as soon as i do, i will inform the forum members, and invite anyone in the houston, tx area to have a listen as well.

thanks for the input!

------------------

Monarchy Audio SM-70

Onkyo DV-S535

Monarchy Audio Model 33

KLIPSCH HERESY II (soon)

AudioQuest Slate/Diamondback