Receiver Question...

Hey all.......I have a pioneer receiver that goes into protection mode when i turn up volume 3/4 of the way up or almost full with no speaker wires connected to receiver...Is this normal? I didnt do it with speakers connected..well i did but not that high maybe half way up or so and sometimes its fine other times it will go into protection mode...i would say 75% its fine and the other is 25% it goes into protection mode Well protection mode maybe wrong to desribe what happens...What it does is youll here a click then no sound then click again and then sound...Is there anything i can check for inside.....Oh its a pioneer SX-1080......If i have to i will take it to my local repair man but rather not...Any help would be greatly apperiated!!

Thanks all

Mike

I'm not familiar with that pioneer (I know it's older) that you have, and this might sound stupid but have you checked your wires to make sure nothings been crossed any where, polarity will cause it, if your wires are exposed in the back too much it could be shorting out. If you have the options make sure to check what the resistance is set at on the reciever (ie 4 6 or 8 ohms).

3/4 of the way up with RF 7 is quite loud, the draw the speakers have on the old amps could just be causing it to over heat, a good cleaning may also help.

This only happens when i have no wires connected to stereo,,,,nada,,,no speakers to....I didnt hook the speakers up to unit and turn it up that loud my neighbors would get mad..lol......I only had it half way up for about a minute or 2 and it didnt go into protection mode......with no speaker wires hooked up to stereo and iam playing a cd/tuner....and i turn knob up 3/4 or more iy goes into protection mode...then i have to turn it down to make it come back on (No music no wires no nada) I just watch the uv meters dance around....I did peak inside but didnt see anything visual....And sometimes i can leave it on for an hour or 2 and i can turn it up almost all the way and it doesnt go into protection mode.......[:^)]

This is normal for the receiver to cut out. With or without the speaker wires attached.

There is an inherent problem with the "80" series of Pioneers.

There are 2 STK chips. They are marked "Darlington" on them. They're the two black "ovals" about 3" long, 3/8" thick, and have nine (if memory serves right on the 1080) pins that are soldered to the power board. They control the output, meters, and your protect circuit. When they quit on this model the meters usually "peg". They control one channel each. They're easily replaced and relatively inexpensive. They are also what causes the majority of the distortion in the Pioneers of that line. They're why you can't push the volume control past about 10:30 position before it starts "muddying" up bad. There is a good replacement part available for these that will clean up the sound on them at higher volumes. They're less than $15 each as of about 90 days ago.

Bottom line is, it ain't broke so don't fix it. It's also not a good idea to push the receiver with no load on it.

If you are having intermittent issues with it cutting out it would be a good idea to clean the switches and controls on it. Pay particular attention to the "loudness" switch. If it hasn't been cleaned before it's definitely time now to do a "maintenance" cleaning on it.

Harry

There are 2 STK chips. They are marked "Darlington" on them. They're the two black "ovals" about 3" long, 3/8" thick, and have nine (if memory serves right on the 1080) pins that are soldered to the power board. They control the output, meters, and your protect circuit.

Will those cause it to go into protection mode? Or is it like you stated " this is normal"......And yes i normally dont do this>>Turn it up past 3/4 turns with no speakers connected....I acceidently hit the knob up almost all the way without knowing and i heard it clip off and then on again....I was like [:^)]

Iam going to take it apart to clean all switches, because ive notice when i turn the tape monitor on and off (the switch) One channel sounds distorted...Like its out of tune....Its hard to describe it though...like it goes in and out of volume... And then when i do it again (switch) on/off it will be normal again...And then i try to repeat it again and it wont happen again...

thanks again

mike

Mike,

Just give it a good cleaning and it should take care of it. It's going to be hard to get to the back of all the controls on the 1080. Do the rear of the pots and controls and then do the shafts and switches from the front also. You have to do both to get it clean.

Do not use the Caigs Deoxit or GC Deoxid on the tuner plates or tuner area. Non residue only on the tuner section.

LET COMPLETELY DRY FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE PLUGGING IT BACK IN. ASSUMING YOU KNOW TO UNPLUG IT FIRST. I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A SMARTA$$ BUT I'M ALWAYS AMAZED AT PEOPLE WORKING ON ELECTRONICS STILL PLUGGED IN AND POWERED UP.

Use a good non-residue cleaner first, then give it a light shot of Caigs Deoxit or GC Deoxid. Same results but the GC is about 1/4 the price of Caig.

Best of luck,

Harry