4.1 crackling and popping

Screwdriver223

I've had my 4.1s for 7 years now. They worked fine when I packed them up a couple of months ago for a move. After unpacking and setting them up, I got a LOUD pop and crackling whenever I turned them on or off (even with the volume on very low). That unhealthy sound has died down a little, and I can hear a tiny amount of music coming out of them, but it is mostly drowned out and distorted by the loud crackling noise. Any idea what the problem might be or how to fix it? Is it possible the really loud popping and crackling has blown the sats?

Since they're starting to get older and have given me 7 great years, I'm thinking about just picking up a new set... Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a good chance that this is due to aging of the only moving part in your amp, namely the potentiometers (variable resistors) on your control pod. They have an internal contact which can create these symptoms as they age. Disuse and temperature cycles often does the trick. If your problem is mild, you can sometimes revive an aging "pot" by turning the knob back and forth many times. This tends to clean up the surface and oxidation on the contact if it isn't too severe. You can confirm the problem by opening up the control pod and (with the unit unplugged) measure the resistance between the contact (often the middle of 3 connectors of the pot and one of the pot ends. It should vary continuously when you turn the knob and should be steady otherwise. If your pots are sufficiently aged, they can be replaced. If you know how to wield a soldering iron, it is not too difficult. You have to find an audio pot with the same resistance. Pots are not too expensive.

... and while you have your pod open, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me the value of resistor R34 or send me a close-up color picture of the pod so I can read the resistor's color bands. See my post at

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/108319.aspx

I contacted Klipsch tech support last week. Amazingly, Klipsch refuses to tell me the value of resistor R34 (my resistor fell off), but they will sell me a replacement pod for ~$50. For these issues, we users have to support each other!

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...