Updating a KT-SW-15 ? Reference Drivers ???

LyleS

Hi, I've had my Klipsch THX setup for a few years now.

The KT-SW15 is the same design as the new RSW-15. (Front firing driver, passive radiator on the back.

The THX sub was designed when prologic was the norm, and so as I understand it, it rolls off rather steeply below 30 HZ. Is is possible to extend the low frequency response closer to 20 HZ by updating the drivers with the new Reference Driver and PR ?

Is the enclosure volume close enough to the same ?

I'm not as concerned about maximum spl, as I am with reproducing the lower octave information now carried in the LFE track on many movies.

I'd rather upgrade my THX sub, than to go with something like an SVS, if possible, and practical.

I'm assuming that the amp in the KTSW-15 will be powerful enough. (~ 250 W).

My other question is that the frequency response is quite different between the KT-SW15, and the similar vintage SW-15. The THX model has a frequency response that goes up over 150 HZ so as to blend better with the THX satellites. The standard SW-15 was rated to a lower frequency closer to 20HZ. Is the different frequency response caused by the drivers used, or some other tune in the enclosure that I can change.

I'm not so concerned about the higher frequencies being produced by the Subwoofer, as my main speakers are now La Scala's, which play a bit lower with ease than the KT-LCR's.

My final criteria is that any changes to drivers are easily reversable so that I have the option to resell the THX set intact and original if I so choose ...

Anyone ??

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver powering LaScalas

This message has been edited by LyleS on 01-28-2002 at 03:26 PM

Hmmm, so what would be a fair Ebay Price for the KTSW15?

New List was: 1700.00 US

??? Is it still worth $750.00 to someone who wants to complete a set of THX speakers ??

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Denon POA-2800 Amplifier

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver (Pre Only with Denon Amp)

Thanks for the info.

I think I've found a new life for my old Sub.

I downloaded ETF software from the net, and experimented with various room positions for the sub.

I found a corner placement in the back of the room, that provides a wonderful frequency response curve, that looks like it will allow the sub to achieve over 105 DB peaks at the listening position.

The response is very smooth from 20 hz up to 80 hz.

With this new position, I'm happy with the KT for now.

Highly recommend the software to anyone who is struggling to get the optimal sub position pinned down in their room.

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Denon POA-2800 Amplifier

Panasonic RP91 DVD

The KT-SW and the SW-15 II were identical in driver and cabinet design. In order to meet THX spec, the amplifier of the KT-SW was different. Specifically, the variable crossover was deleted and the deep bass was rolled off at about 35 Hz. I know this seems very odd for a subwoofer, but that was mandated by the THX spec. To update performance, try to find an SW-15 II amp. Changing the drivers is not the way to enhanced performance. The amp is a direct swap.

Thanks so much for the reply Bob.

Can I still get the SW-15II amp from Klipsch?

Cost?

Would Changing the amp affect my warranty on the Sub?

I've only had my set since December of 1999.

Would I be able to hook up an external Amp? to try this ?

I have a Denon POA-2800 (200W 8 Ohm)

I could feed the Denon from the Sub-Preout on my receiver so that the signal would be LFE only (20 to 120 hz)

Again, I'm not advocating blowing the driver with tons of watts, just want to get 80 to 90 db output in the 20 to 30 hz octav.

Lyle.

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Denon POA-2800 Amplifier

Panasonic RP91 DVD