New McIntosh mini system

Hifi jim

Debuted at CEDIA, expected price of $6-8k. Yikes! It's two channel sporting 75 wpc, no Autoformers. Tube preamp, tuner, SACD/CD and two speakers. I'd say lose the speakers, transport and tuner. Put a D/A with multiple optical and coax inputs, phono stage and price it around $2.5k and you've got my attention. I'd love to hear it on some Klipsch.

post-24342-13819411280638_thumb.jpg

I dunno...is there a big market share for upscale mini systems? I mean, JVC, Teac and Onkyo seem to have the market sewn up with their decent sounding affordable ($149-399) 2-channel systems. How many people who can afford $6-8k will want to spend that much on a mini system? The few wealthy businessmen my dad and I know who have audio systems in their offices have regular high-end components with exotic bookshelf monitors and subs.

How many people who can afford $6-8k will want to spend that much on a mini system?

That was my question, and in turn what I'd rather see from a small compact all in one. I think most companies are overlooking the importance (or the increasing importance) of adding DAC's to their two channel integrateds and CD players. And not just one or two inputs, but multiple digital inputs. If McIntosh and others started building small, quality integrated amps with DAC's and kept the prices fair, I think they'd have something. I love the Quad CD-P 2 with its multiple digital inputs for that reason. I know there a couple of products that do what I suggest, but few and far between. I thought the new Naim SuperNait was a great idea until I caught sticker shock. I think jt is right, who would spend that much for a mini system? I'd love to see Mac make something like I suggested in the earlier post, heck make it only 25 watts to save some money. Price it around $2k and they'd be a hot item. Its small chassis size would keep costs down and fit in small spaces to boot. And please Mac, lose the speakers.