CF-3s yes or no?

oldmako

FNG here....I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of CF3s for 250. Sounds like a heck of a deal but I have not heard them yet. My brother owns some RB35s, along with some KG4s and I like them both. I have listened to the Herresey's quite a bit and love them as well.

Are the CFs close in sound quality??? And, what kind of wattage will they perform best with??

Excuse my ignorance please. FNG out.

I've never owned any of the CF's, but I have heard them and to me they had a distinctive sound that was definitely different than RB's, KG's or Heritage. I personally did not care for that sound, but they may be the cat's meow to you. If you can hear them before laying out the green, that of course would be best.

As for kind of wattage, if you mean amount of power, well they're pretty high sensitivity, up around 100dB like most all big klipsch, so you won't need much, but it should be decent quality...and QUIET!

CF-3's for $250...sounds like a no-brainer to me. They were Klipsch's attempt at finding a niche in the audiophool market back in the 90's but no one bit - couldn't get by the Klipsch branding I guess. Still, they are a very nice speaker and are more user-friendly than the Heritage series stuff. The sound is a bit more laid back but the bottom-end is fast and hearty and I'm partial to 2-way designs. For the price, you really can't go wrong and if these are the 1st version (look for 6" deep ports), then its a steal. Normal prices are $400-600 and +$800 for the 1st version. I've had 2 pairs of CF-3's and 1 pr of CF-2's and they all found a home without complaints. My brother-in-law uses 2 pairs and a matching center for his HT system and loves it.

I got them for 240. They are in excellent condition. One or two small marks on the cabinets and very nice grills. The speakers themselves look brand new under the grills. I was a sap, I am now sure I could have gottne them for 200.....oh well. My gain is still my gain.

The first location I had them in was no good....WAY too much bass. I had the knob turned all the way down and they still had plenty of thump. I put them on another wall with wider spacing and they sound much better.

Any recs regarding power?? I am shopping for a new receiver and I am using 100w as my minimim. These things suck ALL the power from my old Pioneer (junk) amp and it looks to me like they will perform MUCH better with more power. 100 watts a good number for them??

Power handling on the CF-3's are 250 watts RMS, 1000 watts peak... Like many Klipsch speakers they'll sound fine with a few watts or a few hundred [:D]. Just be careful if you go the high horsepower route, as the drivers in these are no longer available.

Search the forums and you'll find all kinds of info.

Full specs are here: Klipsch Website CF-3

Nice catch! I used the CF-3's in a second system that I tested many pieces of equipment. My favorite amps were an EL-84 SET amp made by Jeff Korneff - very detailed and tight, punchy bottom-end (surprisingly good for an 8-watt amp); a prototype 6C33c dual-mono 10w SET amp - amazing clarity throughout the frequency range; Scott 222b - a versatile 20 watt integrated with excellent sound (no mods or updates); of the few 100+ watt amps I tried, the best was a Nakamichi CA-5II - made after Nelson Pass' Threshold amps, the 150w loaded up the bass a bit too much in my living room (20'x25') but the overall sound was very nice.

The one thing that really stands out with these speakers (and the CF-2's) is that they are very clean-sounding and are more forgiving than the Heritage series speaks in that you can enjoy some equipment that Khorns render unlistenable. Have fun...

gpbusa:OUCH!

That is what you call a PLIF (Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion)... 2nd surgery to finally repair my L4-L5 herniated disk. The stainless rods and screws show up pretty well on the X-ray. What you can't see are the cages screwed in between the vertabrae. I highly recommend avoiding said procedure unless absolutely necessary.