Noob to Tubes

bonz44

I just recently got a Harmon Kardon Trio A224 into my system, I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to tube equipment. So I was wondering if this is a decent amp to start out with. It definetly is a richer sound in two channel listening than my surround receiver puts out. Another question I have is that I accidentally put one of the tubes in the wrong location when I first got it (12au7 instead of 12ax7) would that have hurt anything? I know I'm new around here, so bear with me on the questions that I have. Thanks, John

I'm sureyou did not hurt anything. Both those tubes are of the same "family" (12AX7, 12AT7, 12AY7, 12AU7) and the pins that connect to the elements inside the tubes are all wired to operate the same way; the tubes just supply different levels of gain, 12AX7 the highest, 12AU7 the lowest.

If you noticed and enjoyed the tube sound you are no a greenhorn anymore but well on your way.

Looks like you got a real nice amp to me; 12 watts and EL84 output tubes.

post-16099-13819419374608_thumb.jpg