Custom3 - cable wear

TEEGEE

I picked up a pair of Custom3s a couple of months ago, very impressed with the sound quality. Was using Shure products before, but I'm glad I made the switch... I find the Customs a lot more comfortable as well.

But, I have a couple of question re. the cables:

1) There are a quite a few 'kinks' in the cable - it looks as though I've been deliberately bending the cables, some of them are close to right-angles before I (try to) straighten them out. I guess this is due to the "PVC Wireguard jacket" mentioned on Klipsch's homepage. But does this affect sound quality??

2) The cable’s black cloth weavinghas started to fray in a couple of points so you can see the PVC coat - I can't believe this has happened after only 2 months' normal daily use... I keep them in their case when not being used. Would this be covered under the warranty?

Anyone else having the same problems? Should I be worried?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

The exact same thing has happened to me on 3 different places on the cord! in fact the pvc coat has started poaking out a bit exposing itself even more and I can't get it to lay back down.

I must make a request, to Klipsch.

If there is ever to be a Custom 4, or perhaps a revision of the previous models. Please, please, please include replaceable cords on them! This should be a must for any earphone over $100. $300 is just too much to spend for a replacement set just because the cord wore out on the last one. I would not mind paying an additional $20-25 on an extra cord included in the box or from Klipsch's store. The IEMs are great, but there is little piece of mind about thier lifespan right now so please consider this.

Also can you consider foam and round shaped eartips just for the remainding %40 who have trouble finding the perfect fit with the oval shape.

Thanks

Hey TJ Max

I took them back to the place I bought them & got them replaced no questions asked... You should try the same! By the way - the same has happened to the replacement pair, so I'm planning on going back in a month or so to get another pair!

I don't think sound quality is affectedm but it's a bit worrying, isn't it?!

Also, re the eartips - try using Shure buds. They fit the Klipsch's fine and give better sound isolation. (I prefer the fit of the Klipsch's though)

TEEGEE

Well my experience with the Customs 3 isn't new. I bought my Custom 3 directly from Klipsch. The first pair I had the cable wore out and lost sound in one speaker. They replaced it several weeks later after I returned it to them. Now I'm on my second pair and the cord is starting to decay it seems, there are no audible problems yet, but I have 0 piece of mind about it.

I was originally going to post my own thread with my suggestion to Klispch about this cord issue, but I figured 'd post it here since you were haveing the same problem, and already created a thread. They seriously should reconsider replaceible cords, I can't imagine it being too much of a challenge.

As for the eartips, you are absolutely right , I was using a trimmed down Shure ear piece on my Klipsch, and they fit perfectly and make them sound great! Thats what I was also suggesting to Klipsch.

I picked up a pair of Custom3s a couple of months ago, very impressed with the sound quality.  Was using Shure products before, but I'm glad I made the switch...  I find the Customs a lot more comfortable as well.

But, I have a couple of question re. the cables:

1) There are a quite a few 'kinks' in the cable - it looks as though I've been deliberately bending the cables, some of them are close to right-angles before I (try to) straighten them out.  I guess this is due to the "PVC Wireguard jacket" mentioned on Klipsch's homepage.  But does this affect sound quality??

2) The cables black cloth weavinghas started to fray in a couple of points so you can see the PVC coat - I can't believe this has happened after only 2 months' normal daily use...  I keep them in their case when not being used.  Would this be covered under the warranty?

Anyone else having the same problems?  Should I be worried?

Cheers

I have noticed the cable kinks severely on mine and my wife's C3's. Klipsch what say you?

Simply returning the Klisch is not going to be possible for everyone. I bought mine directly from Klipsch and I'm already on my replacement pair.

We can request that Klipsch make revisions to thier IEMs with improved cables. I have become convinced that a replaceable cord is the way to go. That way if something happens, I can just replace the cord instead of being out of $300 earphones.

mine are not problematic yet but they have a number of kinks. i got mine direct from Klipsch. a better more pliable insulation material would have abated this. teflon is fine for wires that do not move, it is extremely resilient it resists chafing but it is not a good choice for cables or wires that must flex and move regularly, especially at critical angles at or near stress relief points..