Is one RT-12d enough for a 20'X14' room ?

ramiawad99

Hi,
I'm new to the home theater stuff and planning to build a 7.1 system, including RF-82 for front, RF-62 for center, RS-52 for surrounds, RB-61 for rears and RT-12d subwoofer, and an Onkyo 876 A/V receiver.
I want to know if a one RT-12d will be enough to feel the room with deep bass in movies with LOUD volume ?
And if I get 2 subs, will it make really big difference in my room ? Thanks for the help.

Why not buy just one for now, see how it performs, and if you need more get another one.

Don't forget that buying another sub only gains you another 6dB. That would be about the same difference as increasing the volume on your reciever by 6 clicks (6dB)...maybe a bit more since you'll get some increased coupling.

Anyways, 20x14x8 isn't super HUGE and I think you might be surprised what kind of output just a single RT-12d will bust out. The size of the room is going to affect the lowest of the lows more than the upper lows...and it's the upper lows that provide more of the slamming impact - which is a roundabout way of saying that if you think it's loud enough in the store (assuming its room is smaller than yours), then you should experience similar results at home.

You want LOUD, quantify LOUD. To some loud starts above 90dB ,others over 100dB and yet a few who are hard of hearing ~110dB.

LOUD is relative. A single RT-12d can get plenty loud in a room your size,try one. Set it in the proper spot where you get teh most even bass at and around listening position.

With proper placement a single mid sized but capable sub can acomplish alot.