TubeHead Pre-amp

russ69

I just bought a Tubehead pre-amp for my second system. I was looking for a cheap a$$ tube pre-amp and at 265 bucks (new) this simple unit looked like it might do what I was looking for. I was looking to take the peaks off of the horns in my RF-25's. Anyway, it's not too bad. The bass is full but solid and the top just a tad rolled off. I had to swap some cables around to get it just right but it is pretty sweet for the price. It's not dead quiet, you can hear a little rush if you stick your ear near the speaker but I can't hear it from my chair. My refrigerator is louder, by far.

It's not something for everybody, it only has two inputs and is the size of about four packs of cigarettes. Here's the link: http://www.audiophileproducts.com/tubehead

Thanx, Russ

UPDATE: I talked to the manufacturer and he said the pre-amp should be dead quiet and to send it back. Well, I was talking to my brother on the phone and he suggested I just flip the two prong plug. Son of a gun, that did it! The thing IS dead quiet and sounds great. So for those guys that want a cheap fix to harsh horn sound and want to add some tube sweeties, jump on one of these.

• 1 month later...

I have had their "Cute Beyond" headphone amplifier for about two years now. I did swap out the stock opamps for Burr Brown OPA 627's (with a BrownDog adapter) and it made a tremendous difference. Not tube, but a great sounding headphone amp that easily drives Sennheiser 600's for about $235, new opamps included.

I also have one of their "Spitfire" DAC boxes. I use it because my pre-pro won't output (via "Tape Out") an analog signal from any digital source, like a CD player. This is becoming a big issue that I believe comes with HDMI compatibility. You can't even output digital sources to zone 2 or zone 3. I route the prepro's digital out to the Spitfire for use by downstream analog devices like the headphone amp. BTW, in case you are wondering why I don't just use the DVD player's analog outputs alongside the digital, it's because with HDMI, the analog outputs are disabled.

Speedball,

I had a CJ Sonograph. That's a nice amp and a good match for your RF7's. I think your system is good enough that the Tubehead would not be a good match. It's a good first step into tubes for not much money but your system could use a really nice preamp. It would be a big step-up for you. I'd think along those lines. I can't help you with the QSC amp, I've never heard one.

Thanx, Russ

• 3 weeks later...

That Tube Head Pre was strongly being considered as well as some older units but for new it looks hard to beat. On the flip side I did just land my first tube preamp called a peach from juicy music. I totally look forward to giving it a try when I put the tubes in it.