Which amp shoud I buy?

mdoakey

I am wondering what amp to buy for my home theater? I have KLF 20's for fronts, KLF C-7 for the center, and the 2.1 for rear's. I am eventually going to purchase another pair of the KLF 20's or 10's for the rears. What kind of amp should I purchase and how many watts should I push? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a amp, just wondering if anyone knew of a reasonable amp I could buy.

Mdoakey, the official specs on the KLF-20 read: POWER HANDLING: 200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak). So, that's the max you should stuff into these highly efficient bad boys. In most situations, a 100 good, clean watts is more than most folks will need.

So, the question is not so much power but rather the quality of the power that is pleasing to your ear and the versatility of the pre-amp for features that are meaningful to your concept of necessary.

Since Klipsch speakers are on the "live" side of sound reproduction curves, you might consider the essential coloration that the receiver tends to bring to the speakers. Some prefer to tone down what they perceive as "all too real" and others scream "bring it on!"

So get thee to a quality dealer and listen to the largest full-range Klipsch speakers they have on as many affordable amps as you can. Your KLF-20's will likely sound a bit brighter... but at least you will have a better idea of what your "ear matching" amp is likely to be.

Enjoy the hunt! cwm5.gif HornEd

PS: Hey BobG, it would be nice if we had a big ear symbol with less monkeyshines... and potentially caustic misinterpretations! H.E.

------------------

"Klipsch Legends Cavort Discretely Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall with SVS16-46CS+

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-04-2002 at 01:08 PM