I need connection help/RP-3!!

ktuskey

I need some help connecting my RP-3's to my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS797). On the back of my receiver, I have a port marked "SUB" which I already use for my Dalhquist Subwoofer. I also have two ports marked "PRE OUT" with L/R connectors. On the back of the RP-3's there is a LINE IN and LFE IN. I want to use LFE IN because I want to take advantage of it in my 5.1 system. However, I don't know what they mean when they say, "Do not connect this input to a full range (unfiltered) pre-amp output.". HUH? I'm attaching a URL that will give you a rear view of my receiver. Can someone please tell me how I'm supposed to connect this to the receiver (what ports)? Remember that the "SUB" port is already used by my subwoofer. Any help would be appreciated. Should I connect to the "PRE OUT" -- one to the left one to the right or do I have "Y" the "SUB" connection and do it that way? HELP.

My RECEIVER:

http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-DS797

Click on "Rear View".

Thanks.

"Do not connect this input to a full range (unfiltered) pre-amp output."

WHERE does this quote come from? Receiver or speaker owners manual?

You could run a sub cable from your receiver's sub out to the LFE inputs on the RP's.For example,to use the RP's and your dedicated subwoofer for LFE only,you could run a sub cable from the receiver's sub out to the,say,left RP LFE input.From that same RP, LFE out to the right RP's LFE input.Then run another sub cable from the right RP LFE uot to your DQ subs input.This is assuming the RP's have Inputs and Outputs.

Keith

keith, yea it's from the rp speaker manual. they mean don't connect the lfe ins (nonfiltered) to such outputs as the front preouts (also nonfiltered).

of course as keith says the thing to do is attach the filtered SUB preout to the lfe ins/outs of the rps.

great idea by keith too. instead of a Y just use the LFE out of the last rp. cwm35.gif

i'd also do as keith & don't send the low bass to both the rp subs & the dal sub (do use LFE ONLY or whatever Onk calls it). the both type setting could produce some muddy bass (though maybe u could use the dal sub's crossover control effectively). just hook it up like this & as usual experiment w/ the settings.

------------------

My Home Systems Page