Can I use Ref Series w/Heresys?

Fireball

Klipsch appears to recommend the Legend Series as a match for my 1980 vintage Heresys, but the size, weight, & cost will present some problems. Can I achieve satisfactory results with an RC-3 & RS-3 match for them? Also, would the KSW-12 be a good choice for a subwoofer? I plan to purchase a Harman/Kardon AVR510 Receiver providing 70Watts/Channel RMS in 5.1 Mode to go along with this.

Fireball,

Although the RS-3s work fine for Heresy surrounds, the RC-3 isn't recommended for this setup. The best match would be another Heresy - see if you can pick up one used, or you can order new ones singly. The Legend recommendation as a center, the KLF-C7, would be great but a new one costs more than a new Heresy. I'd look for a used pair of Heresies and find someone to split them with you. You should be able to find a partner by posting on this BB.

I've also got a KSW-12. It's a great HT sub and one of the best values in subwoofers that I've seen. I'm also impressed at how it works as a music sub with my Heresies, but you won't get the same kind of bass you'd get with a $1000 sub.

Ross

Agreed. All my research also points strongly to the SVS subs. (Of course, when the new RSW's come out they will be strong contenders - the 15 we heard in Hope was pretty damn good) Check out the Powered Subwoofer forum on this site for SVS info also.

I got in a rush earlier, so I might have mislead you on the sub. Don't shortchange the KSW-12, especially for HT use. I'm using one with Heresies, at the moment, in a large open-floorplan family room. That sub can put out some serious bass!! And it sounds pretty good with the Heresies for music, too. I didn't care much for it with the RB-5s I was using here, but with the Heresies I can turn the crossover down a bit and it sounds quite good with music. And, again, I have to say it's great for HT use. Even if I do eventually get another "music" sub, I'll keep this KSW-12 for HT too. Like I said earlier, one of the best subs for the money. The question is, how much to you want to spend and what will it's primary use be - music or HT?

Ross