Yamaha/Klipsch Help?

Pizzamkr

Hello everyone, Happy Holidays!!

I am new to posting here but have spent some time review alot of data here. I know its not the easiest to help without having it right in front of the person helping, but wanted to make sure that I didnt just miss something obvious. Here goes..

Purchased a couple Klipsch RF35 and Center C3 and the 2 surround S3 speakers and the Yamaha RX-V663 tuner. Subwoofer is just a KLH, not sure the model.

Here is some background I have an older DVD player (no HDMI) that i have connected to the receiver via Optical, but using component cables connecting directly to the TV for video.

All speakers are wired now, and the TV is connected to the Tuner via HDMI

I have an Xbox 360 connected to receiver via HDMI

A Motorolla Cable Box (COX Cable) connected to receiver via HDMI.

To play the TV I set the TV input to HDMI, i have to set the tuner to the DVD setting while audio select is on Auto

To play a DVD I set TV to Component 1 and change tuner audio select to Coax/Optical

While the DVD is playing and I switch the tv back to HDMI and the audio select back to Auto...when i turn channels on the tv i hear the dvd audio playing for a second and then back to the cable audio. If i turn the TV off it does the same thing, it plays dvd audio for a few seconds and then it goes back to the cable audio.

Also, why is it that i set the tuner to DVD to watch TV ???

Confusing? Thanks in advance

Run your Component cable to your 663 and then you will just have one HDMI from receiver to TV it will handle all of it and the switching will be done by your Yamaha. The hdmi you have your cable/ sattelite box hooked up to is the dvd slot that is why you have to set it on dvd. Not really an issue.

Nice set up, i love my rx-v659 and RF-5s.

Well I certainly hope i can get all out of this setup to really appreciete it. I need to keep reading here to really understand the ins and outs of what settings have the best experience. So far I have found is the 7 channel enhancer setting gives me the best overall experience. What settings do you use? Have a good one!!

i've only got my rf-5's so far so i'm running 2 channel stereo, sounds is excellent. yamaha is an excellent value; this is from an audioholics review for the 659:

"At full continuous unclipped power (132wpc x 1;
8 ohms, 120wpc x 2; 8 ohms;
full bandwidth with less than 0.1% THD+N), the RX-V659 still maintained
excellent bandwidth linearity with a -3dB point of 65kHz despite we
were driving the receiver way beyond its rated 100wpc power
specification.
Into 4 ohms, the RX-V659 was able to deliver continuous power levels at
a whopping 200wpc x 1 and 170wpc x 2 with less than 0.1% THD + N.
The amplifier section of this receiver is truly underrated.
I never encountered a budget A/V surround receiver that could deliver
this kind of power before.
Truly amazing."