Box help please.

Fizzlemizzle

So, I think i'm going to take my 15" dayton out of my car and use it for home theater. Box size isn't that big of a deal, it can be reasonably large (less than 4ftcubed), tall would be the best dimension. Specs are: Power
handling: 500 watts RMS/800 watts max * VCdia: 2-1/2" * Le: 1.00 mH *
Impedance: 4 ohms * Re: 3.3 ohms * Frequency range: 18 - 800 Hz * Fs:
18 Hz * Magnet weight: 150 oz. * SPL: 90 dB 2.83 V/1m, 87 dB 1W/1m *
Vas: 9.95 cu. ft. * Qms: 3.10 * Qes: .49 * Qts: .42 * Xmax: 14mm *
Dimensions: A: 15-5/16", B: 14-1/8", C: 6-1/8". Can anyone help me with a design please? My box knowledge is very limited. Also would you go ported or sealed?

If you have MS excel on your computer you can download Unibox and use that, or you can use WinISD pro. WinISD has some issues with Vista, you have to manually close it with the task manager, other than that is works fine.

Which dayton 15? Titanic, quattro, the DVC.... ? I am too busy to graze over all the pages to find out what it is.

So I just used WINISD to try and get a box design. I couldnt find the "Z" and "PE" parameters of my sub so i'm not sure how much that affected it. Using .018 meter board, It came up with a ported box 27w x 45h x 17d with a 4 inch port, 7 inches long. Flat response down to 20 hz, down 3db at 16.6 hz, down 6db at 14.7hz and down 10db at 13hz. Look about right? Did I mess it up?

You can get WinISD to run better in Vista by setting the compatibility for XP or maybe it was win98? One of the 2.

Do you already have this driver? A vented cab of 9cu ft net tuned to 18hz with a 6"x 21.5" L port looks ok. A 300w bash plate amp would be fine for this.

Maybe a bit more information is prudent, such as the room dimentions, layout and type of construction. ( basement w/ concrete walls... or upstairs etc.. )

Keep in mind that you have more room gain in a room that is not as lossy, such as in a basement. In a small to medium sized room I would suggest going with a sealed box and corner placement. In a much larger area, say a basement that is open to the rest of the house / basement... I would go with a large vented alignment, such as what was suggested.

What works well in one set-up may not be the hot ticket for another area.