Mullard EL 34

musiclover

A tube that won't bias in any socket while others do in any socket could mean a bad tube....but if you really had these 5 years and you really used them 2 hrs per day...then that means you have ((365X2)X5) hrs on them which is twice as long as they are supposed to last. My vote..would be to buy a new set.

BUT...if you did not test bias them in other sockets and you did not test bias other tubes in the particular socket...could be more than just a bad tube.

I have switched the tubes around this tube won/t bias in any socket. Other tubes will bias where the bad one was. Any recommendations on replacement of set. I have the VRD stereo amp. that was purchased from fellow Klipsch member and have the Peach preamp. Reason I purchased the Mullards is I thought they would go thousands of hours, but guess not. Thanks for any information.

Them XF2's are most likely shot to hell send them up here !

But seriously those old Mullards can last a long time in the VRD-45-ST much depends on how many hours they may have already seen before you bought them. If they were truly NOS when you bought them they had to set you back a long way in the wallet area. One tube going bad in no way means the other 3 are near bad... Tubes fail always have and always will since they are very delicate devices, who knows the true history of the XF-2s you bought that one tube may have been dropped sometime..... It would be nice if you had a way to confrim how healthy the other three are before sourcing another. But if it was me I'd see if you can find you a forth and just bias them up and enjoy them as long as the last you really don't have to have a matched quad. (although if buying new production tubes it's advisible to buy mathed quad or you end up with the single the dealer could not match. In other words the worst of the lot.)

Craig