DVD Audio wiring

michaelstano

The new Mitsubishi 8020 DVD with DVD audio out is here. I know that I need to use 5.1 audio wiring from the DVD to the receiver to get the full benefit of DVD audio. Will that wiring suffice for the audio portion of DVD movies? I know that for DVD audio, by using the 5.1 connections, I will loose my signal processor (not sure if that will be tolerable). If I use the 5.1 wiring for movies, will I also loose Dolby Digital and DTS? Should I wire the 5.1 for DVD audio, but also wire optical digital for movies so my processor will still work? My Owner's Guide is no help here, and the folks from whom I special-ordered this DVD didn't even know what "progressive scan" is.

TIA--you guys have been great.

Mike

Mike - You could use either the analog 5.1 connections from the DVD or the digital connection for the audio portion of movies. The difference will lie in which device is doing the decoding of the digital signal - the DVD player or your processor/receiver. If your DVD player does a fine job of decoding (and bass management), you could just use the analog 5.1 connections for both music and movies. But if your processor gives better sound, or great function (like an adjustable crossover in the bass management), go with the digital connection for movies.

Doug

------------------

My System