nakamichi OMS-3A CDP

RockOn4Klipsch

I sold my OMS-7 over the summer after having owned it for about 10 years. The 7 was their top player followed by the 5, 4, 3, etc. (no 6 as that is an unlucky number in many Asian cultures). I've never heard the 3 but the 7 was a fine sounding machine with excellent build quality and smooth sound. I was able to sell the OMS-7 for over $200 and was happy to do so. My feeling was that most modern CD players, although not built as well and certainly not as nice to look at, simply outperform this now very dated player. Any modern NAD player or even the $169 Oppo DV-980h will outperform this vintage player. Further, there are some issues with these Nakamichi players. Many have problems reading discs, mine had problems with about 5% of my collection and repairs are very expensive if you can even find the parts. The transport used was made in house by Nakamichi and was superb with its glass optics and alloy mechanism but they are no longer made and very few were sold to begin with. The DA was 18 bit if I remember and had a smooth inoffensive sound which was years ahead of its design. The LCD's on the display are also prone to burning out. If you are looking for your main cd player then I'd suggest moving on. But for a second player or one in a vintage system then it might be a consideration at the right price if it's in good working order. As a bonus the 7 I had played CD-R's quite well.

As a former Nakamich dealer, I wish I had kept an OMS3 or OMS4. Frankly, the OMS4 sounded better than the OMS5 or OMS7. The OMS3 only had a single DAC, but it was the same as the one in the OMS4. However, when the pickup fails there will be none available.

• 1 month later...

dear all,

as a former owner of Denon 1500 MKII, and Denon 1500 which has the same DAC (PCM 54) in out as OMS 4, and presently owner of Nakamichi OMS 5-E, I advice every one who appreciate warm and detailed sound to buy only CD with 1540 DAC.... Nakamichi step forward in front of Philips and make a better CD player then Philips CD 880, and 850...