Cleaning speaker screens

x97lyons

I was wondering if anone has any suggestions for cleaning speaker screens. I have some KG2's and I have noticed the screens have some dust buildup. Can I just vacume them offf or can I wash them in water. I was wondering what other forum members do to clean the speaker screens?

I buy a lot of used speakers from estates, auctions, storage shed repos, etc and I run into a bunch of nasty, filthy grills from time to time.

On MDF backed grills you can NOT even get them damp. If possible I remove the cloth from MDF and machine wash on gentle with cold water and Woolite for delicate fabrics. If I can't remove the cloth I'll use Woolite foam carpet cleaner and when dry they can be vacuumed. Caution: I've had some grill cloths fade when using the carpet cleaner. Then I'll have to replace the cloth or occasionally I'll use RIT dye in a spray bottle to bring them back up.

On plastic frame grills I use a mixture of Windex, dish soap, water, and laundry soap in a spray bottle. Shake well before using. I wet them thoroughly, let them sit about 15 minutes, and rinse them using the shower massage. I let them dry thoroughly before reinstalling. You can put a fan on them if needed for faster drying.

On some grill cloths that are "loose", I'll use hot water to shrink and tighten the cloth.

FYI: Hot water can loosen the adhesives holding the cloth.

Harry