ATI 1202 Help

kdcarroll

I am stumped. I bought a ATI 1202 2 Channel Amp from a friend. It was shipped here to frigid AR by Fed Ex. The 35 pound amp was packed great, and the box looked fine with fragile stickers. The amp sat on my door step for a few hours until I got home from work. I took the amp out in the house and let it warm to room temp for a few hours. I hooked the amp to my HK 3380 using the pre-outs, attached the Heresys, plugged in the amp: the amp powered up, shifted from stand-by to on and ......nothing. No sound - no fuzz, not a relay click, nothing.

My question is - where to now? I checked the signal from the pre - it is fine (sub is working as well). The speaker cables are fine as are the speakers. The interconnects are fine. The amp is powering up without any limiter signal. Could temperature be a factor - the amp was basically frozen on my door step in 10 degree weather. A friend mentioned temp affecting/engaging protection circuit.

I have learned everything I know about my hobby here, and I'm looking for some more help guys. In addition, no place in Jonesboro to have the amp checked (except by my Navy friend). My friend who sold the amp said it was fine when he shipped it.

Help!

Ken

as long as you know the source, i.e., are comfortable that it was working when it left your friends, I would ASSUME you are dealing with something as minor as a solder connection in the power supply. Cold shouldn't have any effect on components, especially if you let the amp get to near room temp. Even then, you worry more about condensation,than anything else. On the OTHER HAND, jostling a weak/cracked solder connection in the cold is very possible. That probably doesn't make you feel any better unless you are willing to open it up and start probing with a voltmeter. ATI stuff is built pretty well, but its transformer has some weight to it and isn't easily anchored down... but a marginal solder connection ANYWHERE can be working just fine... and just waiting to fail.

luck

j

Yes, like I described, the unit cycles all the way to "ON": i.e. master switch on, standby light goes out, green "on" light comes on. The gain controls are turned all the way up. I checked fuse - it looks fine, and the unit turns on, which it would not do if fuse was bad. Standby light on when front panel power switch set is off.

Thinking some grim thoughts at this point.....