Best choice for surrounds...

chuckears

Check out my system as listed below. Now, assume I have the Academy to go with the Fortes, but INSTEAD of the RS-3's for surrounds, going with a pair of KG4's or Heresys? Would either of these be an improvement as surround speakers over the RS-3's (which are designed specifically for surround, but with one having to be placed at the very corner of my left side wall...)?

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch Academy or KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

Chuckears, I applaud the fact that you are taking advantage of engaging your primary audio tool... your brain.

Let's start with the assumption that audio engineers start with... that for 5.1 you will have five identical speakers that is to say five Fortes... and that's how the sound for your system is mixed for HT and multi-channel music. Anything less than full-range speakers is a compromise on your part.

That is why I changed from the "conventional" wisdom of audio salesmen and put six KLF-30's to work in my 6.1 HT system... and keep two vintage Cornwalls busy in my two-channel music room.

Dedicated surround speakers are a throwback to the days when discrete full-range sound was not sent to the surround speakers... they received only narrow spectrum "audio clues" which were then radiated indirectly as ambient sound. At least the WDST approach tries to direct some of the full-range sound back to the sweetspot.

IMHO, Fortes would be best for you all around... with Hereseys being a solid second choice. In fact, if you could manage a Forte as a center channel you would be instantly amazed at the great improvement in HT performance. Upwards of 75% of all the sound coming from a 5.1 DVD is channeled through your center speaker... so it should be your strongest link... not one of your weakest (as many center channel offerings are).

Discrete full-range sound in five channels means that audio engineers can attempt the formidable task of creating an acoustic "scene" that is less dependent on the acoustics of your room to replicate the scene in the movie. Sound coming out of your five discrete speakers not only represents sound sources... but sound reflections that one would presumably hear if they were on the movie set. Changes in timbre, range or crossover points in a variety of speakers in the same system only take away from the experience the audio engineers created for you.

Yeah, I know, many of us have to give up our sound opportunity in the center to placate space constraints or good taste in decor. But, this is a Forum about getting the most for your audio investment... and in the age of discrete multi-channel sound the closer the speaker match the better your HT & multi-channel music experience will be.

Before you buy, try to audition some speakers and prove it for yourself. Good hunting. Eyes.gif HornEd

===========================================

Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

===========================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways to Someday!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs stacked, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in constant homage of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

Sorry, chuckears, I got sidetracked and did not finish the last post in regard to side-surround placement. The latest info I have (and which I now use and endorse) is to place your side full-range speakers with their backs to the sidewall, facing each other, so that they are about a foot behind where your head is in the sweetspot. The reflections of the opposite walls contribute to the "ambiance" of dated source material... and provide the punch for discrete sound sources.

Hope that makes sense. cwm4.gif HornEd