Help with setup and speakers to run with modded RF-7s

Fast1

I just added my setup to my sig so hopefully it pops up. I modded my Xovers in the 7s with high perform caps and resistors and also added the extra resistor to lay them back a bit. I am running an RC-3 right now for a center. I will be moving my goods to a new steel building where we are adding living area to. I will be adding a large theatre area there. Rooms size will be roughly 20x40. I am wanting to know first, what center might be better for the modded 7s? The RC64 or 7? If I got the 7, I planned to pull the xovers down and do them the same as my RFs. No idea on the 64 though.

I am very open to other center ideas since room will not be an issue. I would spot a single RF7 if that was best but not sure. I also need some help on the surround setup. I was thinking of the RS-7s. I do not want anything floor standing in the back. ???

Regarding the room, The ceiling will be 9ft, concrete floors with carpet over it. I plan to have the back wall all glass with big double doors because the room will double as a family room and I want an open feel. I plan to install the glass at some strange angle to break up standing waves if possible. I planned to build the front corners of the room at a chamfer to hide the main speakers and subs in.

Is there any software or other recommendations you guys would offer in this room setup? I am also looking to build a few wall and ceiling hung sound traps if needed . No round tubes for me thanks.

I would also like to see what you guys think of my sub. I have a Velodyne HGS18. seems to blend well with my small setup now but I am considering running two of them. I also use the system for 2ch and it does go loud from time to time. That HGS has to work to keep up.

May be the superbowl got people busy.

To answer some of your questions

I have a stock RC 7, a RC 7 with a Dean X-over rupgrade and the RC 64. You will be hard press to hear to hear the difference between the last 2.

The RC 7 is a ported speaker but the RC 64 is not , it might be a problem for some.

I would try to get a RC 7 if you can, but the RC 64 would do just fine.

For the surround the RS 7 are the perfect match but hard to find, the new RS series took the WDST speaker to a new level. Give them a shoot

I ran a test with the RS 3, RS 42 and the RS 52. I could not believe the improvement with new the 42 and 52 over the old RS serie. I will be picking a set of RS 62 tonight to complete the test and I let you know.

If you want to use a RF 7 tower for the center I might be able to help you. I have a black , a maple and a cherry RF 7, but I'm going to be in Europe for 3 weeks so you will have to wait

Thanks for the help! Honestly, I am in no hurry to get a center. It will be the better part of a year before I can move in and would need the new speakers. I have heard the RF7 may not perform as well as an RC7 as a center. Not sure though.

I am wondering if I should consider 7.1 surround for the larger space?? If so, I have no idea how to select speakers for that setup. It is my understanding that most all DVDs have 5 channel separation and the processor has to take that and further separate to 7ch so it may not be "all that". I have not heard a 7ch setup in a while though.

Very nice to see some back to back testing. I kinda wondered if an RC7 wtih some mods would be about the same. The 64 sure look cool though!! I plan to hide all my speakers so that won't matter too much. I am running an RC3 right now. NOT very impressed. "sound in a box". Not very open.

I had a system with all towers ( RF 3 II) but the center was still a RC 7 so I really do not know how a RF 7 would perform as a center speaker.

I know what you mean about the RC 3, I have a few of those laying the house ,it is not in the same league of center channels but neither is it's price.

The 7.1 system is made for bigger size room, I would say go for it. Regarding what speakers you should use for the 2 rear channels, I had a better result with all WSTD type speakers for movies

I ran a test with RF -7, RC 7, RS 42 on the sides and RB 61 for the two rear channel. We replaced the RB 61 with RS 52 and the difference was incredible, for that matter the owner end up taking down the RB 61 and replaced them with RS 42 later.

I do not know if it was because the room is not as big as yours and the RB 61 were just to close to the listening position but we both agreed it sounded better with WSTD Speakers. I know what most people are saying but we tried and that what we came up with.

Because I have not designed the room yet, dims and details are still pretty open. I will have to do some research as to how I should target the dims of the room. Soem people say square, some say longer than wide, some say wider than long, not sure.

I was just wondering by adding the extra 2 speakers on the sides if this would help disguise the location of the speakers. We plan to move seating forward from the back speakers far enough to make the speakers blend better. Probably min of 3-5ft. I would like to put couches on the side walls but afraid sound will suffer there. The room is going to be designed with the family room look so however I put it together, it needs to function well for both theatre and family seating.

Falcon, I would like to ask if you have tested modded RF7s against your RF83s? I have heard the 83s are more laid back and that is what my mods did so curious if there would still be an obvious difference. I really don't like how mine attack me at extreme volumes but I really think that is my junk receiver doing that. We plugged in an Outlaw preamp before and I want to say it fixed a LOT of my issues like thin sound in the mid and raspy treble at high gains. I will replace that receiver with something soon. Just not sure to get a 5000 series Denon or go to a preamp head. I would really to be able to play my mains at full range plus the sub. Mostly units will bring in a crossover for the mains without enough adjustibility.

Falcon, I would like to ask if you have tested modded RF7s against your RF83s? I have heard the 83s are more laid back and that is what my mods did so curious if there would still be an obvious difference. I really don't like how mine attack me at extreme volumes but I really think that is my junk receiver doing that. We plugged in an Outlaw preamp before and I want to say it fixed a LOT of my issues like thin sound in the mid and raspy treble at high gains. I will replace that receiver with something soon. Just not sure to get a 5000 series Denon or go to a preamp head. I would really to be able to play my mains at full range plus the sub. Mostly units will bring in a crossover for the mains without enough adjustibility.

So funny you are asking that, I just got off the phone talking to inventor about doing that test.

As stated previously for the RC 7, I'm still thinking the X-overs upgrade makes the 7 serie a lot more smoother close to what the RF 83 are.

My suggestion has always been if you have the 7 do the upgrade, if you are going to upgrade speakers then go for the 83. I have always been hard press to hear the difference between the RC 7 upgraded and the RC 64.

My next plan is to run a test between the RS 62, RS 52 and the RS 3 and after get back from trip I'm planing to run an upgraded RF 7 vs a stock RF 7 and an RF 83. I will let you know what we found out

dang it! sorry for the no reading skills.....lol

as far as the "right room size" that's a hard one. hopefully someone will help you with that. the basic rule is NO squares (like mine), and NO to one wall (length) being TWICE as long as another (width). other than that there is a bunch of dimenstions that i couldn't begin to tell you.

post in the ARCH. section for help with room dimensions.

the rs-42 vs. the rs-52's are the same thing. with that room size, go with the rs-62's. you may be happier with them. also since your back wall will be greater than 4' from you, you should think of using a RB series as the back speakers.

as far as you center channel question goes, you can go with a modded rc-7 or 64. like falcon said, there is little to difference between them. the 64 may be more $$.

Dang, I just got home with the RS 62 those things are huge.

as far as you center channel question goes, you can go with a modded rc-7 or 64.  like falcon said, there is little to difference between them.  the 64 may be more $$. 

I just thought about this, how about I bring the modded RC 7 down next time so you can see how you like it?

sure, it won't match the rest. be interesting to hear the difference in the front sound stage.

yeah the 62's are huge. i saw them at Starpower. they take up some wall space....wife won't be happy! lol lol. remember she liked my rs-42's because they were "small" lol!