ONE MORE QUESTION ABOUT DUAL PW-2200 vs SINGLE SVS CS or CS+

Amit

Hey guys i posted a topics yesterday, which was about DUAL PARADIGM PW-2200 vs a SINGLE CS or CS+. Now that i know that the SPL will be very close with two paradigms, i need to know a few other things.

Will the paradigm be as TIGHT, FAST, CONTROLLED, and FLAT as the SVS CS or CS+ subs. Also i have heard that the svs are never boomy, is this the same case for the pw-2200 subs. I hate bloated subs.

Thanks again!

The Paradigm PW2200 is not bloated at all,its clean and likes being cut below 80Hz.Even above 80Hz its not boomy at all.Paradigm did a marvelous job on this beast.

Two PW2200 will beat a single SVS,unless its a Ultra or SS.So output AND quality are all there with the Paradigm.

While I had the Paradigm I tested it with many techno tracks containing fast hard hitting bass and some with plenty of true sub bass.This sub has the goods.Its a much better value than their Servo-15.The Servo-15 has more output down very low and is cleaner(its a sealed and servo controlled design).

Go listen to your CD's and even pump the sub way up,you should be convinced.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You know what though Ears, I had this sub for about a week. I put it through tons of tests and I could not get it to sound good and loud with techno and trance songs that have pounding bass around and above 40hz. Of course, for lower bass under 40 hz it was a beast, but with fast and not very deep bass, the output was small and slow. Could have something to do with my room, but I adjusted the phase and position of the sub to no end and still could not get it very loud with lower-mid bass. And there is a flaw with the design of the amp panel at the back. There is a heat sink near the top with 4 vents surrounding it. When pushed hard with low and loud bass, the vents emit a ton of noise when air escapes from it. I am not talking about port noise as there was none coming from it. These are shaped like a slit. There are 4 of them right around the heat sink and it is on the pw as well as the ps, and pdr models of paradigm. I tested the ps-1000, pw-2200, and pdr-8 through 12 and the noise existed on all of them. Mind you you won't hear it on most tracks except for very demanding bass tracks (Bjork's hyper ballad near the begining) but when you did hear it, it was loud, like a hissing/rattling noise where a lot of air was trying to escape those 4 tiny vents. I'm just surprised not many people have noticed or criticized this. In the end, I opted for a ksw-15 over the pw-2200, which was in the same price range. It did not hit as hard in the <30hz frequencies but was punchier and faster at lower-mid bass. And it didnt have the vent noise that the paradigms had. I'm probably being over critical and maybe people don't listen to such bass-heavy tracks, but I found the problem present in several of my music tracks before I decided not to go with paradigm.

My 2 cents.

Tom, theears, could you posts your comments?

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

This message has been edited by Underhanded Penguin on 02-12-2002 at 08:45 PM

Here is some of TV's data on those subs as tested by Tom Nousaine.

Paradigm PW 2200 (early test) 107.4 /20hz~91db (112.8 peak)

Paradigm PW 2200 (most recent test data) 107.4 / 20hz~84db / 25hz 104db / (112.8 peak)

SVS 20-39cs(w 300 watts) 109.5 /20hz~91db /25hz~105.8db (approx 118db peaks)

You can expect a 5-6db gain from two of the same subs when placed together.

I have had a Velodyne HGS 12 and I currently have a Paradigm Pw 2200. I miss the Velodyne's DEEP bass that the PW 2200 lacks but I love the PW 2200 peaks that the HGS 12 lacked. The PW 2200 is a great sub for the price. The PW is not boomy at all and performs well. It is only a matter of time though before I move the PW 2200 to the rear and bring up the front with an SVS CS+ or an SVS CS Ultra.

I just read your other post and I see that you can really get a deal on the Paradigm 2200. For what you have to spend I would also suggest the PW 2200's. There really isn't a bunch of stuff out there with less then 25 hz anyway and from there up the 2200's can play with the best of them.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 02-13-2002 at 09:39 PM

UP,

Yes I did notice air "leaks" around the amp plate.Very minor,the huge single vent on the back of the PW2200 should be flared.As it is you will hear port noise(air rushing in and out)at high SPL and below 30Hz.

This was the reason why I returned the Paradigm and took a Sunfire Signature for a test drive.After my tests it was clear the largest Sunfire whooped the Paradigm on low bass and I has ZERO port noise..dug its a active/passive design,no ports.

The upper bass does not have a punch like on some M&K and JBL subs.True,woofers with a high Q will have more impact and will not be as extended...unless a huge box is used.The Paradigm and SVS drivers extend LOW but dont have this punch(err peaky mid bass some like).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I also have minimal noise.

It is NOT port noise, the port is huge and I have NEVER had any issue with port noise. It's the amp plate vibrating. It only happens during VERY intense passages of a certain frequency, and can be cured with some more tightening of the screws holding the amp plate in place.

It is a pretty musical sub, no boomyness here. Reading Underhanded Penguin's post, it seems he actually liked the boominess of the KSW-15 as opposed to the beast-like low rumble of the PW-2200. Now don't get me wrong, for some movies and techno, boominess isn't such a bad thing, but I like the low rumble found in some rap songs and in well-designed movie soundtracks. I have never found bass lacking, the kick drums are definitely HERE in the room, the explosions shook a lamp cover off (i'm not lying, it's true) in the room under the sub, and the rap is deep and powerful. It could use a bit more response higher up in the techno-frequencies, but not much, and it would probably become exaggerated anyways.

Underhanded Penguin, maybe it was your room that had a bad mode around 40Hz, and you needed the exaggerated response of the KSW to compensate. I'm not putting down your choice, just trying to counterbalance your opinion. IMO, Klipsch KSW subs aren't the best choice around.

Dual PW-2200 all the way, looking at the technical data (didn't hear the SVS... yet!). 6dB is quite a bit of gain, so I'd go for the dual setup, which could let you experiment with positioning a bit more also. Or, just stack them.

------------------

go" TARGET=_blank>http://sebdavid.150m.com

go laugh at my crappy website...