Bi-amping will blow your speakers???

Freedo

I have read that bi-amping your Speakers can blow them up. I have a Marantz SR8500 receiver, RF-82s. The Receiver out outs 125Watt RMS per channel. With the Receiver you have the option of having 7.1 or having 5.1. In the 7.1 configuration the rear can be switched to front left and right, now turning the configuration to a 5.1 with 2 front left and right. So i have Bi-amped my front RF-82s this way. Is this good????

Thanks your the help

I'm not an expert, but if you are properly biamping, then you will be fine.

Properly biamping (to me) is defined as preamp outputs going to an active crossover which will divide your signal to each amp. One amp will get say, 20hz up to 500Hz and the other amp will get 500Hz up to 20,000 hz

If you're running a full signal to both amps and then to the drivers, I could see where that might cause an issue for the tweeter if you turn it up to far.

• Active Biamping - Takes the preamp output to an active crossover and then to the amps. This allows complete control of which frequencies are sent to each amp and speaker. It also makes the passive crossovers in your speakers non essential.

• Passive Biamping - Simply sends 2 preamp outputs to 2 different amplifiers. The passive crossovers in your speakers still do all the work.

If you remove the passive crossovers from your speakers, you need to make sure that the speakers can handle the frequencies you are giving them. I sometimes passively biamp my setup. I do this to get the sweeter mids and smoother highs of the tube amps along with the bass response and speaker control of the solid state amp. If you are passively biamping with two identical amps or different channels in a multi channel amp there may not really be any difference. Both amps sound the same and each will still be amplifying the full frequency band so it won't give you any extra headroom. I think...