Hooking up a new KSW-12 to my Sony STR-DA3200ES/ Fortes/ KLF-C7 /RS3s

crwjumper

Hi gang.

I just got a "new" KSW-12, and want to know how to best set it up for optomized HT & music settings.

I have a Sony STR-DA3200ES with original Fortes in front, a KLF-C7 in the center and a pair of RS3s up high on the sides for surround.

On the receiver I have all speakers set to "large".

Where should I set the crossover cutoff, should I run the speaker wires from my "B" speakers to the sub, or run my Fortes "through" the sub etc. This is a large room with wood floors a vaulted ceiling, large carpet and a comfy couch and a comfy chair ("Not the Comfy Chair!!!").

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Do you have a way to set separate crossover points for the mains versus center/rear surrounds? If so, I'd say @ 50 hz crossover for the mains & @ 80 hz for the others.I would NOT run through the sub first then to the speakers (using the sub for crossover). Play around with the crossover point to what sounds good to you.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't think that running the Fortes through the sub would be a good idea - why introduce anything into the signal path that wasn't necessary. I can't change the crossover points on the receiver for the mains vs the other speakers other than defining them as "Large", "Small" etc.

I was wondering if I should just hook up the LFE so that the sub will be used only for HT, since the Fortes are quite adept at producing music. My main concern is: could the sub mess up the purity of my music by over-enhancing or even muddying the bass too much during music? If I only hook up the LFE will I be getting all of the info from my movies?

I was wondering if I should just hook up the LFE so that the sub will be used only for HT, since the Fortes are quite adept at producing music. My main concern is: could the sub mess up the purity of my music by over-enhancing or even muddying the bass too much during music? If I only hook up the LFE will I be getting all of the info from my movies?

If your subwoofer is properly level-matched to your other speakers it shouldn't over-enhance anything or sound the least but muddy. It does depend on the subwoofer, though. Some are boomier than others. It should blend in almost as if it wasn't there, in a sense. If your receiver has any sort of automatic setup or test tone generator you should level match all your speakers with an SPL meter.

If you hook up your sub using the Sub/LFE out from your receiver into your sub's LFE input you definitely get all the bass info from movies and anything else you listen to.