Onkyo Receiver

KHarvey16

I'm interested in hooking my pro's up to an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver. The receiver has an impedance selector, and so can handle 4ohms. Also, it lets you set the front and surround speakers to "small", which I would assume limits the range of the sound going to the speakers. Would this keep the speakers from distorting? The receiver puts out 75 watts per channel, so I don't think that part of it will be a problem. Are my assumptions correct? Or am I totally off? I'de appreciate any help.

Thanks!

well, i know the speakers can handle 60 watts at 4 ohms, and i don't think they quit at 60, i bet you could do this, but i think it might void your warranty if anything were to happen to the sat's. you could try, a new sat costs around $30 i think. just becareful with the volume. though i don't think you will get any better sound than with the promedia amp. are you just wanting to get some PM sats and use them instead of like buying the quintets?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Void the warranty? Bah! Who needs a stinkin warranty! Smile.gif Actually, yes, I am looking to use tham as an alternative to quintets. (read:I'm broke) I've got a few different components such as cd players and dvd players and a tape player and an md player and blah blah blah. It would be nice to combine them into one nice, simple central package. And the pro logic II and other modes are great too. How loud do you think they'll go without damage? 3/4 volume right now on the pro's is about as high as I ever really go, except on occasion.

Thanks a lot for such a quick reply to my post! I'm impressed Smile.gif

ok, that sounds more like it. being at 8ohms 75 watts could cause some problems. some people have done this and it worked, others have done it and lost the speakers! for 4 speakers you would have to pay like 120 bucks, for a center i guess another $30 or whatever is costs. what are you planning to use as a sub? It is really not a good idea to do this though.

does your amp have 5.1 preouts?

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Update........I checked out the Onkyo website, and it says it has a rated output of like 140 to 160 watts at 4ohms, so I decided to get a Marantz SR-4200. It's got basically the same features as the Onkyo along with 6 channel preout. Paid $335, which seems to be a pretty good price. Shipping killed me($50!), but oh well. Let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

if you use the preouts, you will need to buy the promedia speaker system including the sub as at least the amp. marantz makes great receivers Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

My fault, I misread an earlier post. I already have a set of the v.2-400's Smile.gif. Had them for a few years now, actually. Still work like new, but looking to upgrade to the new preamp. They really are the perfect size for my room and that's why I'm not hesitant to stick with em for now. Besides, I can always upgrade speakers later. I just wanted something to "centralize" all my components and avoid having to juggle massive tangles of wire any longer. Besides, it looks cool Smile.gif.

ahhh. i see what you are doing here Smile.gif sounds like you are just going to use that great receiver as like a DD51 bbut REALLY supped up Smile.gif great job, cause if you ever have the dough to step up to real home theater speakers, you already have hte receiver do handle them! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by KHarvey16:

Exactly
Smile.gif
. Wow, I just noticed we both have a 16 in our name. I guess that explains why we think alike
Smile.gif

like they say, great minds think alike! Smile.gif (age helps Smile.gif)

------------------

-justin

Just got the Marantz today. Looks, works and sounds great! Everything works as I hoped it would. Hooked up the cd player, dvd player and my computer and they all sound great. Pro Logic II is really worth getting...adds a lot to whatever I'm listening to. Plays just as loud as ever, which is very good Smile.gif. Lots of room to upgrade with a ton of hook-ups in the back. I'm extremely happy. Man I love new toys Smile.gif.

funny you replied when you did, i just found a marantz pm500 in my garage and gave it a listen with a set of cornwalls today... one word... superb. it is amazing Smile.gif glad it worked out for you! can you send me some pics of the setup? front and back, you can email them to me if youwant, i am really intersted in how it looks Wink.gif my email is klipschter@yahoo.com. but if you can't, that's ok Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

thanks for the pics Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

done Smile.gif

amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

------------------

-justin

• 2 weeks later...

he would more than likely blow the speakers to peices with the power from teh amp, even if the amp was the same watt output, it is not 4ohm and there fore would probably kill the sats.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Right on. The amp is rated at 70 watts per channel at 8 ohms, which at 4 ohms equals.....broken speakers Smile.gif. Probably way too much power, and although I'm not an expert I've been warned about driving the speakers too hard, and I think this would be too much. Besides, it sounds great through the preouts. I don't loose any features(besides true 5.1, which ain't there anyway) and can use the volume control on the receiver as well as the remote, which is great.